Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fun and games.

Damn, I used to be such a player of games.

My gaming career started way back in about 1983 when I bought a ZX Spectrum and a copy of Melbourne House's "Hobbit" adventure game. The Spectrum was a 48k machine and cost me the princely sum of £175. Twenty two years ago £175 was a frik of a lot of money!! I loved the Hobbit, and actually had my world record of 82.5% registered as the world's highest score at one point in Sinclair User magazine. I doubt the publication was anything other than England wide, so the concept of world's highest score escapes me.

A veritable rash of Spectrum games followed. Eventually I got bored and sold it to my Religious Education and form teacher and bought a bloody Colecovision console. It was rubbish, and by the time Manic Miner came out, I played it and immediately went out and bought another Spectrum. I never looked back.

Since those good old Spectrum days, I have owned and raved about the following:

Atari 2600
Snes
Atari ST
PC
Gamecube
Nintendo64
Playstation2
Commodore64
ZXSpectrum
Megadrive

They've all been fantastic, and I still have them all with the exception of the PS2.

Lately, I don't have time to play games. I don't really own many "new" games. Probably the newest game I own is Mario Golf on the Gamecube.

I miss playing games, and wonder why I don't do it anymore. I can't find the answer, until I look down at the clock, and realise I've already been typing this blog for twenty minutes. I still haven't caught up on everyone else's blogs. I have a stack of paperwork to do AGAIN. I have a bunch of photographs to sort through and process. I have a bike ride at the weekend to organise. I still haven't unpacked my clothes and stuff from last weekend. I worked a ten hour day. I have only JUST managed to finish my Pogo badges (I don't consider Pogo to be gaming - it's far too basic).

What a shame.... I have no time.

I miss Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet, EA Hockey, Penetrator, Gyruss, Animal Crossing, Mario Golf, Giana Sisters, Nebulus, California Games, Wani Wani World, Pitfall, IK+, Stunt Car Racer, Black and White, Winning Eleven Five, Grand Theft Auto, Super Black Bass, Four Winds Mahjong, Unirally, Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Jet Pac, Arcadia, Parappa The Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Mario Kart, Magical Hat's Turbo Flying Adventure, Micro Machines, Tobor, Kyodai, R-Type, Salamander, Gorf, Bombjack, Super Bomberman, Mortal Kombat, Super Monkey Ball, Sam Fox's Strip Poker, KP Skips Action Biker with Clumsy Colin, 3d Ant Attack, Command and Conquer, Boot Hill, Ponpoko, Pooyan, Space Duel, Dragon's Lair.....

And so ad infinitum!!

Forty minutes blogging....

Time to go sort some photos.... If I do a good job they may well make it into tomorrow's blog.

Who spotted that I missed blogging yesterday?? Take a gold star and go straight to the top of the class!!

Cool thing for today:

Retrogames - It does what it says on the tin.

7 comments:

  1. I noticed you hadn't blogged yesterday - I've been sitting here twiddling my thumbs for the last 36 hours waiting for the post. For the record I refreshed the page 16,200 times, my finger now hurts and my thumbs are untwiddleable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh man you've started me off now......
    stunt car racer wow that was some hilariously fast game and what about manic miner must be the most remembered retro game of all time..
    right that does it im off to download scramble from the arcades woohoo!
    when the fair used to come to town,get down there with your 10 p's.hey i should be puttin this on my blog.You got some kind of pyscology going on to make people type things lol.
    ok you can carry on now fox.
    kev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that you didn't blog yesterday and went straight to worrying that there was something terribly wrong with you. Its not like the FoX to skip a day posting without giving us some fair warning.

    I am glad you are back and are all right. Looking forward to seeing some new pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gold Star for me! I read the systems list out loud to Shawn and he has heard of all of them and owned most of them too. You gamers... :P
    I liked this post, nice to go "back in the day".
    I have no idea where all the time goes. In theory I have so much of it (24 WHOLE HOURS!) in practice, it feels like mere minutes.
    Have a great day! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh memory......
    Probably in the year 1988,
    I did buy a Sinclair Zx-Spectrum(Z80 processor) from somewhere near Oxford Circus (London) for £180; the shop name was probably "Dilons" (or something similar to), I felt so proud for that keyboard computer...
    Machine coding with Z80 was so exciting....

    Thanks for the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't know anything about games. call me whatever you like, but never felt like wanna play games...
    well...computer games...;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about Zarch on the Archimedes?

    ReplyDelete