Monday, January 09, 2006

Ready.... Steady..... Camera!!

Some thirty years ago today, when I was a mere whipper-snapper of only seven years old, a very strange thing happened.

Sylvester Stallone, after five months of training began filming his movie: Rocky.

This in itself is an interesting fact, but I owe Sylvester far more credit than simply making a landmark movie.

Rocky was in fact the first feature length movie to use the "steadicam".

The steadicam is a device that allows hand held cameras to be stabilised, thus allowing a more fluid shot. The use of dollies, and rigs, and jibs, and all that mallarkey isn't essential to create fast tracking shots any more.

The Evil Dead trilogy and all its fantastic, mad camera work was done using the steadicam, and I thank Sylvester for making the bold step and bringing this magical device to the public forum. My life is vastly enriched for having enjoyed these camera tricks over and over again.

On a more depressing note, I bring news of Tony Banks' death. He died in Florida, following a rather serious stroke, aged just 62.

Tony Banks was a cool member of parliament, with an acid tongue. He was a vegetarian, and a staunch supporter of animal rights. He was always considered "very left" within the labour party, and even opposed the war in Iraq. He always opposed vivisection.

His only comments/speeches regarding the war in Afghanistan, were to request government money, and the assistance of the Royal Navy to help the animals in Kabul zoo. In particular he wanted to help "Marjan" the elderly lion, which needed air-conditioning for his rheumatism.

I'm sorry to say goodbye to Tony Banks. The world is a poorer place without him.

Movie quote of the day:

Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes your movie quote riders are too easy and sometimes they're too hard.

    I have to agree with you about the sad passing of Tony Banks - Individualism in politics is something we're going to see much less of in these days of anonymous party clones.

    Like much of life today, conformism is leading to blandness and a stultifying lack of adventurous creativity in all fields.

    Where are the innovators of tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I was too young and too much a girl to be at all interested in Rocky. But gees, was it that long ago? I feel old now for even being alive at the time. But then I never expected to live past 25...or maybe 20. It seemed so ancient back when I was a kid (grin)

    As for this Tony Banks fella. I'm sorry someone you respect has passed, and really...the guy was a vegetarian, he had no business dying at 62. I thought health nuts were supposed to outlive the rest of us? I'd say 92 would have been more respectable from him. I hope at the end he could say he had a happy and satisfying life. That's all that really matters.

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM steadycam gimme gimme lol.
    Evil dead what a great horror film that was i'll never forget watching it with 4 mates in my lounge when the trapdoor hand came up one of us screamed which set us all off like a screaming mexican wave haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30 years! Has it been that long already!!! Geeze...suddenly I'm starting to feel old...send geritol!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You my friend are a fount of information. What was Mr Banks doing in Florida?

    Hurrah for the Steadicam!

    ReplyDelete