Friday, September 29, 2006

Board games.

One of life's guilty pleasures for me, is to play games.

I'm not particularly fussy about the type of game.... Computer games, board games, and I've even been known to play the odd mind game or two (although these DO tend to bore me more than other games).

Lately, I've been playing loads and loads of Guitar Hero on the PS2 - It comes complete with a George Formby sized plastic guitar that you have to strum while you rock out to the likes of Boston, Queen, and Franz Ferdinand. It is good!

I've probably reached saturation point with Guitar Hero for the time being, and I've developed a serious craving for some board game action.

I'm surprised, that in searching, there doesn't appear to be many board game clubs or societies anywhere. Surely there are people out there who would like to get together (informally, of course) and play games like Mousetrap and Risk mebbe once or twice a month.

If there's anyone in Huddersfield who would like to embark on such a mission, then feel free to get in touch with me. I think it'd be nice for a group of board game fanatics to get together and to bring their favourite games to share with other people who might never get the chance to play the games otherwise.

My latest purchase (in this vein) is a strange game called Gulo Gulo, which I've never played, but am eagerly anticipating.

If you've got a favourite board game, or feel like hooking up sometime to play some games, then give me a punch and we will see what we can arrange.... Who knows, this could turn out to be the worlds first international board game society?? (Yeah, right!!)

Here's a few of my fave board games, past and present:

Escape from Colditz
Chartbuster
Battling Tops
The merry game of floundering
Yahtzee
Backgammon
Scrabble
Cribbage

Wanna play a game, neighbour?

5 comments:

  1. Loved the following:

    Moustrap
    Kerplunk
    Guess Who
    Game of Life
    Yahtzee

    Technically not 'board games'

    Subbuteo
    Test Match Cricket

    Now wheres my membership pack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as long as you don't wanna start playing Twister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in Reno I belonged to a local board game group. It was a yahoo group. You can try setting up a yahoo group of your own and maybe someone out in the area you live in will find your group and you can start having meetings. Personally I like Fluxx, Robo Rally, Yatzee, Monopoly, scrabble, cranium and scene it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Curse of the Idol' is a firm favourite and the good news is that it generally graces the shelves of all of the charity shops in all of the towns and cities you could possibly visit in one lifetime.....get playing Foxy Loxy!

    ReplyDelete