Friday, December 30, 2005

Pole to Pole...

... With Michael Palin.

I have watched (over the last few days) a LOT of Mr. Palin's travel adventures. I think the guy's totally cool. He is like Alan Whicker but with a conscience.

I particularly like the way that Mr. Palin has used his fame to basically pay his way around the entire world on some absolutely fascinating journeys. Is there a country this guy DIDN'T visit?

He would definitely be one of the select few I would invite to the mythical fantasy dinner party scenario.

Wanna know something I hate? I hate web pages that have media embedded in them, but don't display any control elements. If you wanna piss me off, then just make sure you put some music, or a midi file embedded in your web page without the ability to turn it off. It pisses me off so much, because (for a while) I will visit your page more often than you change the tune.

Wanna know something else that pisses me off?? I effing hate web pages that contain "layers". You've all seen 'em, I am sure (except perhaps those of you who use a fancy schmancy browser as an alternative to internet exploder) on various web pages. You are trying to read some information, and for no reason at all this bloody advert slides across your screen and sits squarely atop the piece of text you reached. Bollocks to that!!

Ah, there's nothing quite like a good rant to clear your head.

If anyone can come up with a layer that slides on AND plays some effing music without controls, then please, be my guest, and don't be offended when I start sticking pins in your wax doll!!

I am TOTALLY Pogo'ed out.... I will be almost glad to go back to work next week. Perhaps at that point I might actually get dressed again. I can't even remember where I keep my clothes any more!!

I leave you with that thought!!

3 comments:

  1. All those things annoy me too. The adverts are particularly pissy.

    Can't even remember where you left your clothes? See, if you moved to the wilds of Canada too, you could just wear a loin cloth. (grin)

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...nice rant FoX...actually put a smile on my miserable face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I was reading your insightful comment on Jay’s blog regarding instinctively knowing what is right and had to stop by as I am currently reading a book that addresses this subject and that is basically supporting your views.

    Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/glance/-/books/0713997273/202-9640966-0137417

    BTW I instinctively know that web pages that contain layers ARE JUST PLAIN WRONG

    Happy New Year
    InĂªs

    ReplyDelete