Sunday, March 30, 2025

woah .. they say he's got to go....

 Godzilla.

The biggest, most scary rubber dinosaur i ever did meet, as a kid.

And, in terms of the Playstation game, Guitar Hero, one of the most awesome songs you could shred.....  By the mighty Blue Oyster Cult, of course.

There was a whole family spawned from that rubber pylon crunching dinosaur...... and a pretty weak cartoon with a really weak sidekick.... Godzooky, created by Hanna Barbera in 1978.  I think Godzooky was supposed to be Godzilla's nephew....

I am not gonna lie, i think Godzooky was to Godzilla what Scrappy-Doo was to Scooby-Doo.....

<makes raspberry sound>

There were some great monster movies in the Godzilla franchise, but i don't really think there was a good one made after the original series of Japanese ones.....  i'm no expert but....

I imagine Godzilla was born of the post-nuclear fears in Japan.

The first movie erupted in 1954..... and there is a connection between nuclear power and the awakening of Godzilla......

Maybe it was a sort of propaganda to suggest that something uncontrollable could be born from the ashes created by the second world war?

Anyway......  

If you never saw the pre.... i dunno.... pre 1980 films, i'd highly recommend them - i mean.... if you really want somewhere to start, try:

Destroy All Monsters - 1968 (link contains spoilers)

It's a great film.

And guess what, it features one or two of the additional characters that Godzilla occasionally had to fight.....

Like..... Rodan, King Ghidorah, Anguirus, and Minilla.....

And who could forget.... Mothra?

Happy Mothra's day everyone!! X


image stolen - please don't grass on me.

6 comments:

  1. I saw Godzilla Minus One in the cinema last year, it was phenomenal. All in Japanese, with subs. Just to hear that theme on the big cinema sound system, sublime! It's actually a good Godzilla film too, I think you would enjoy it. I have quite a big collection of the Toho films, if you ever need to borrow one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. might take you up on that offer when i have a home alone evening!! thanks

      Delete
  2. And it all culminated in a GROAN-WORTHY pun, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of the Godzilla movies though I have heard of Godzilla. I didn't know there was more than the one movie. Things come late to Australia and in the 70s I was busy raising babies and then they were school kids and so on, there wasn't much time for TV and no $$ at all for movies for quite some time. I don't think I missed out by not seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can always still view them - i think they're good fun

      Delete