Friday, March 21, 2025

challenge?

It's world poetry day, they tell me.

Usually, on a Friday, I post a picture and give a challenge to write summat about it.

Today's gonna be a bit different.....

I've written a poem..... it's embarrassingly basic, as poetry goes...... I don't think I've ever been very good at doing words and stuff..... 

I went for a walk with the dog..... and i took a few pics thinking I'd chronicle the walk through the medium of photography but i got bored taking the photos and (inspired by the genius of Brian Bilston) realised i could summarise the walk in words......

Friday writing challenge #4

So, for today, for World Poetry Day, feel free to pen a haiku, a 50 word story, or a short poem that captures something about your day.... this day.... today..... any aspect of it.  Drop them in the comments.... they won't be as terrible as this effort from me:

Dog Walkin'

A chilly wind, hat pulled down tight,
Golf course behind, crossed stile, turned right.

Wild garlic, green, bluebells, asleep,
Horse in-between, the stream and sheep.

Dog swimming at a reservoir,
No time for that, we've not walked far.

Staircase goes up, to Scapegoat Hill,
We're higher up, the air falls still.

Topped out, descend, Round Ings, and Slack,
Four miles with friend, and then we're back.


Here are the few (poor) photos I took of the walk..... just to prove i was actually there and the poem is actually a thing.  From left to right, top to bottom......
  • wild garlic banks along the stream at Longwood Brook.
  • Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage (?)
  • A horse crossed our path at Snow Lea.
  • Frogspawn at Oaks Scar reservoir.
  • Looking back down the staircase towards longwood.
  • Top of the staircase towards Huddersfield.

17 comments:

  1. You should do it as a rap and post a TikTok dance to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if i could rap, had an account on tiktok, and knew any dances, i'd do exactly THAT!

      Delete
  2. Great poetry and ‘wordery’ as usual, cousin ❤️. My poem harks back to August 2008 when I found myself at ‘Blyton Ponds’ on a so-cold ‘honeymoon’ of a day’s fishing 🤣 I’ll never ever forget the experience. Best fish I ever did catch….

    The sun, a hazy, golden eye,
    Watched ripples where the willows lie.
    My rod, a ‘Puddle Chucker’ friend,
    A line cast out, where dreams descend.

    The water still, a mirror deep,
    Where secrets ancient shadows keep.
    For legend whispered, low and slow,
    Of phantom carp, that gleamed and glowed.

    A tug, a twitch, a sudden pull,
    My heart, a drum, about to lull.
    The reel spun fast, a frantic cry,
    As something stirred, beneath the sky.

    No murky brown, no scales of gold,
    But shimmery sheen, a story told.
    A ghost carp rose, in a newly-wed’s light,
    A spectral form, a wondrous sight.

    Its fins, like veils, in water swayed,
    A creature born, of Blyton glade.
    I held my breath, in silent awe,
    A moment caught, without a flaw.

    Then, gentle hands, and careful ease,
    I freed the ghost, among the trees.
    It slipped away, a silent grace,
    A memory etched, upon this place.

    The ripples spread, then faded slow,
    The secret kept, where waters flow.
    My ‘bestest catch’, through sun and rain,
    That ghost carp's gleam, will still remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very evocative - captures a moment of excitement very well.... thanks so much for sharing :) x

      Delete
    2. "Blyton Ponds" is a very good poem that only a writer who was familiar with angling could possibly write. Beautifully crafted - with suggestive undertones too. Well done "Anonymous"!

      Delete
  3. You do yourself a disservice Wevs, I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos look fine to me and you did well with the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, those are kind words...... i mean, they were god enough for me to dare to include them here...... so "not terrible" is about the bar i set!!

      Delete
  5. A Long Walk Cut Short (With A Pause In The Middle)

    Here I walk, broken hearted,
    Tried to fart and now I’ve shar…
    T’d only just gone half past ten,
    But I’m already heading home again!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the green cross code
      is increasing the load
      only one more street to go
      but I just can't stop the flow

      Delete
  6. Can't do poetry but love it all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just words, innit..... I think the term "poetry" has many interpretations - I am sure you can!!

      Delete
  7. Your self-deprecation is charming Mr Fox but the truth of it is that you are good with words as your poem shows. I would create my own poem connected with this challenge but I am not feeling especially poetic today - with health concerns buzzing around me like flies above a dung heap. I have been writing poems intermittently for sixty four years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think i am generally too lazy for poetry - i mean i like it when i can be bothered..... but some of it's not very accessible..... i think that's why i prefer the haiku - keep your chin up YP!!

      Delete
  8. That's a wonderful and charming poem -- nothing wrong with that at all!

    Here's my haiku effort:

    failure to know of
    World Poetry Day today --
    my poetic disgrace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perfect - well done - thanks so much for having a go and writing such an amusing poem

      Delete