Wednesday, August 20, 2025

hop

 One small step for man.... one giant hop for a fox!

I ventured into the kitchen last evening for the purpose of seeking nutrition.

Another milestone was reached.

With the aid of a zimmer frame, two crutches, and a very supportive partner, i mostly managed to cook our evening meal.

It was one of my signature dishes, which mostly has me stood at a countertop chopping and prepping a few things before, at regular intervals, chucking them all in the same pan.....

To give it its full and proper name.... Bibimbap!

To you and me, that's a Korean dish of fried rice with kimchi.

A nice piece of fresh ginger, a little garlic, and spring onions (we were lucky enough to receive some homegrown leeks which are small enough to use instead), some purple sprouting broccoli...... fried up for a few minutes until i've had enough.....

Then i chuck on a good spoonful of my (homemade, i hasten to add) kimchi and fry until until my attention span wanes.

Throw some carrots at it..... and some rice (for this recipe it's fine to just chuck a bag of microwave rice in - do not microwave beforehand though)....  break the rice up cos it's always in a solid lump and tends to congeal into one big lump if you add microwaves to it!

When everything seems like it's probably cooked.... move the whole lot over to one side of the pan and in the space you create, fry a couple of eggs......  while the eggs cook, (we had to get eggs from my mum's chickens as our two chickens have decided they're on strike)  squeeze a lime over the top of everything...... By which, i realise the pedants amongst you may take exception to my use of the term "everything".... try to keep the squeezed lime juice within the confines of whatever is in the pan.

Once the eggs are to yours or my liking or burned, then spoon the rice into two bowls..... chuck the fried egg on top of each one..... wang a bit of chopped coriander on top like a chef would,,,,,, a few more chopped spring onions (in this case baby leeks), add a little hot sauce if required...... i like to use a really spicy sort of ketchup.....

And voila.....

Your foot feels like it's going to drop off.... the kitchen looks like a bomb landed in it..... and you can't even carry your plate of food from one room to another.....

And that's progress!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! It's been a long time since I've had Bibimbap. I used to order it at this Korean restaurant near where I worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super easy to make..... i got the recipe off the bbc good food website - it was so good!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good and lovely to have fresh produce. That photo perfectly describes your doggo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it does..... she has been an obstinate pig today!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of kimchi but don't know exactly what it is apart from something fermented and I know I wouldn't like it. Well done on the cooking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a spicy fermented cabbage - basically..... it's so tasty and makes a great accompaniment to lots of food..... also because of the fermenting, it's really good for your gut! Like i said.... i made my own..... and it's quite involved but not difficult.

      Delete
  4. Well that is progress Jason! Well done old chap! I hope to cook Bibimbap for tea tonight but the "measurements" you provided are rather vague. Please sharpen them up. (I prefer ounces over grams)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try this:
      https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kimchi-fried-rice

      25g = 1oz and that should see ya right

      Delete
    2. i just make the quantities up i never weigh owt

      Delete
  5. When I fractured my ankle I rented a sort of mobility scooter but it had no electricity. It was very easy to scoot round downstairs and do all the chores in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great progress considering where you were.

    ReplyDelete