Saturday, August 09, 2025

cards

 Mate come round today.... and between the nattering.... we had a game of cairds.

When i was a kid, there was a guy called Banjo Bob.

Banjo Bob claimed not to be of this world.

Amongst other things, Banjo Bob claimed to be a werewolf and/or an alien.

Mostly, I think Banjo Bob was a hardened drinker, gambler, and i suspect he had something to do with computer systems design, mostly working abroad.

He came and went like the wind.

Banjo Bob used to come and pick me up and take me swimming every Sunday morning.....  I don't know what his end of the deal was, i suspect he might have fancied my mum or summat, but he was a good guy and I liked his aloof and complex backstory.

At a time when i didn't much have a father figure or male role model, Banjo Bob was a pretty good stand-in.

Banjo Bob taught our small family.... me, my mum, and my sister, to play a couple of card games... they were typical boozer/club card games.... Brag.... and more importantly, cribbage.

If you've never played cribbage, then you're missing out.... it's a fascinating game.

It's a proper old fashioned card game that usually only sees the light of day in the pubs and clubs and is mostly out of fashion these days...... and in America it's largely seen as a bit of a hillbilly or redneck kinda game.....

Anyhow.... we played cribbage today..... it proper cheered me up.

Anyone else know how to play?

Here's a stock image of the exact cribbage scoring board that i own.... if i could be arsed to climb over everything and get it and take a photo, i would, but i can't be bothered.

17 comments:

  1. Man, I LOVE cribbage! I've been playing it my whole life. Crib is very popular in Canada, particularly on the Prairies (where I grew up) and in our eastern Maritime provinces. You might be interested in the post I wrote about cribbage a few years ago --
    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2020/08/and-now-in-cribbage-news-format.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're kindred crib spirits!! how lovely! I am very jealous of your selection of cribbage boards!! Good blog, and i bet you can still remember the sting from your opponents 28 hand!!

      Delete
    2. try this - i set up a remote game of cribbage that we could try - obviously it will take a long time to complete but here's a link to my game for you....
      https://buddyboardgames.com/cribbage?room=Q2hhcm1lZC13b29kcy04MQ==

      Delete
    3. all you have to do is put your name in and the room is my room ..... i'll leave it open a couple of days in case you want to try?

      Delete
    4. Okay, I'll give it a try right now! Very cool!

      Delete
    5. Okay, I signed in as Debra to room Charmed-woods-81 and it says Jason is waiting to start the game. I assume that's all correct? I'll check back later today to see if the game is started.

      Delete
    6. ok it will be slow progress but we can try it - i have drawn a card and started - presume we cut for the box/deal

      Delete
    7. Okay, I dealt and put 2 of my cards in my crib. I've never played anything online before so I'm just winging what to do.

      Delete
  2. I need more of Banjo Bob's origin story. Did he even have a banjo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he did indeed play the banjo, my friend

      Delete
    2. more backstory here,,,,
      https://arctic--fox.blogspot.com/2006/10/gulo-gulo.html

      Delete
  3. I have never been into any game that involved cards. At Beverley Grammar School there were a good number of sixth formers who played cards every lunchtime - but not for me. Mind you, I bought a card today - but not one you play with. It was a birthday card for my son who will be 41 next Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately, none of my closest people like card games either..... my aunty and uncle love a game of cards but Dawn won't suffer such foolishness!!

      Delete
  4. I've neard of cribbage but never bothered to learn how to play, card games aren't my thing, as kids we played Snap or Go Fish and a certain family member always had a hissy fit if he didn't win. These days I play Patience (Solitaire) now and again, but not often. I'd rather read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a shame..... sometimes the game isn't as important as who you're playing the game with! I think the reading thing is fine but it's a solo occupation, as is "patience".... playing cards with friends is great fun. (i wouldn't play cards with my mum because she is such a poor player of games - terrible loser)

      Delete
  5. My mum and dad used to play a lot but never taught me. It was their go to entertainment in the winter when there was very little 'good' TV.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it taught me some valuable life skills.... you have to have a head for numbers for scoring and adding..... you definitely have to think ahead...... sometimes you have to make tough decisions...... it's a good game to learn at a young age i reckon

      Delete