Monday, February 17, 2025

fiddy summink

 yesterday i started posting about a 50 mile walk with my 50 year old pal.... and i knew there was another "fifty" that had inspired the "fiddy" theme......

Occasionally i write a haiku.

occasionally i write a series of words that conform to the structure of haiku but they don't conform to the ethos of haiku, in that they don't necessarily evoke thoughts of the natural world.... some might say seasonal..... or weather.... or nature.... it's hard to put your finger on it.

making a haiku isn't just syllable counting!!

i am guilty on that charge.

not too distantly, on facebook, i did a haiku-a-day for a couple of weeks and some of them fell into the syllable counting trap.

Now.... let's set aside haiku for one moment.

We occasionally holiday in the Dumfries and Galloway area of Scotland.... we love it up there.... My relatives used to live there.... it's where i took Dawn on our first "away" weekend together..... we have a lot of nice memories up there and the walking, fishing, beaches, swimming.... it's all good.

So, for one reason, or another, i started following the facebook page for the Dumfries and Galloway Libraries......  Every Friday they post a photo and encourage people to :

"Give us a story in 50 words.... or a haiku"

And you know what.... i think only myself and one or two people really contribute to it..... so.... what i thought would be nice..... maybe some bloggers could head over and support their Friday challenge....  it's right up your street, i know it is..... i'd love to see a few people hit it.

So THAT was the other "fifty" that i forgot yesterday....

go write something on one of their story haiku challenges at Dumfries & Galloway Libraries - tell everyone to bring their word game!

member- they hold them on Fridays, so scroll back a bit or make sure you're there on the next Friday.... i'll try and remind thee!

hope to see you there.

I thank you

here's a picture from the Dumfries and Galloway area when we last visited there. (Sept 24)

Lakeland fells, distant.
'neath speckled robin's egg blue.
Give me the treat now!

6 comments:

  1. I also love that area of our island. We had a holiday there about five years ago - staying in Garlieston and got to see quite a lot. So peaceful and lovely. I am not on Facebook and never have been so I guess I will meet a barrier when I try to join in with the library challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in which case, perhaps i could run my own haiku challenge... watch this space?

      Delete
  2. I love haiku and have practised that poetry form for many years now. The modern approach to haiku no longer follows the old 5-7-5 syllable-counting rule we learned in school. That rule was based on an American misunderstanding of how Japanese syllables work. The modern approach is that a haiku should be able to be recited in one breath by the speaker, however many or few syllables that may turn out to be. Anyway, the library's haiku challenge sounds like fun but alas, like Yorkshire Pudding, I'm not on FB either. But if you run your own challenge here, I would gladly participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it sounds like fun to run our own...... i'll try and do a weekly challenge then.... let me think about it

      Delete
  3. Dumfries and Galloway Libraries Haiku Enthusiasts, here I come!

    ReplyDelete