Thursday, February 20, 2025

hillocks

hummocks, hillocks, mattocks, and pillocks!  With a side order of rhododendrons, all washed down with copious amounts of rainwater.

as Simon Armitage once said......

<quote>

....But I

skimmed flat stones across Black Moss on a day

so still I could hear each set of ripples

as they crossed. I felt each stone's inertia

spend itself against the water; then sink.

<end quote>

well.... i CAN tell you that it was not like that up at Black Moss today.

Let me give you some idea.....

The privilege of being free to ramble on open moorland, unfettered by paths and stiles and gates, is not one i take for granted.  We are there to make things better and it means getting off the track.

heading deep into peatlands, tussocky grass, moss, heather..... and rhododendrons.

our job, to hit the rhodies with the mattocks until they wept their toxic sap upon the heather.

The weather was not kind.  It was windy, and the rain, it did fall upon us.

strung out in a line, sweeping the moorland like an episode of CSI trying to find the intruders, and smash them up.

our square kilometre was traversed one way and then the other......  we probably did a tenth of the square in total, today.

White hare, golden plover, black grouse, grey sky..... the rewards for struggling through difficult terrain while the moorland clawed at our legs in a bid to reclaim us and to pull us into the very peat.

exhibit A, your honour..... the mattock


Exhibit B, your honour, my office for the day..... walking down Black Moss towards Wessenden Head. looking across Marsden towards Pole Moor in the distance.... before the rain came.


9 comments:

  1. I was gonna ask about your day but then I remembered to check in here instead. Sounds challenging but I bet it felt good to get home and put your feet up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was hard graft - enjoyable but hard hard graft

      Delete
  2. I have always remembered those lines by Simon Armitage about Black Moss. I have visited Black Moss myself and saw NO stones there that were "flat stones" as you might find plentifully in some other locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right - very little in the way of flat stones up there.... millstone grit and determination

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of Simon Armitage's most memorable poems is "Not the Furniture Game" which is from quite a few years ago. I should read some of his more recent stuff and get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think we probably both need to brush up ..... i'll go dig out your selected poem

      Delete
  5. ‘to hit the rhodies with the mattocks until they wept their toxic sap upon the heather’… I’m now having night terrors about this!

    ReplyDelete