Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Is it...

Is it because I is back?

Home - and back into the routine as quickly as I dropped it like the hot potato it was rapidly becoming.

I've already done a shift at the pub..... I've already drunk beer in the pub..... I've already been fishing..... considered mowing the lawn...... wondered when it is right to harvest a chilli pepper from the plant.... hunted down an old frenemy on facebook..... got up late..... watched my local news..... spent too much time on a computer..... tried desperately to catch up on all the blogging activities that have taken place since my last showing (and given up on the two or three hundred unread posts)...... forgotten to hang the washing out (just checked and the washing machine's still going so I can rest easy on this score).... Lost my photos..... found my photos.......

The things we do that define us in our own spaces, eh?

Well, I'm pleased to say that I had a totally ace time in Northumberland with Dawn.

We rented a house from a friend of a friend for a particularly reasonable rate in the "village" of Scremerston.

Scremerston:
Pop - 300?
Shops - none
Pubs - none
Facilities - Berwick RUFC
              - St. Peter's Anglican Church
              - Jehova's Kingdom Hall
              - A roundabout
              - 2 swings
              - A postbox
              - A roundabout

It's such a strange little village..... you can walk around the entire place in ten minutes and there's every possibility that you will not see another living soul in that time, or indeed on that day.

The advantage that Scremerston DOES have is that it's only a five minute drve to Cocklawburn Beach and a five minute drive into Berwick Upon Tweed.  Scremerston is, of course, VERY quiet..... and that's something I appreciate.  The beaches of Northumberland are also equally quiet, and that is something I also appreciate.

The beaches are stunningly beautiful..... geologically interesting.... steeped in history...... and mostly deserted.

I can heartily recommend that anyone who likes walking and solitude, should get their act together and get up there...... get up early or go out late and you'll most likely feel like you have the whole county to yourself.

12 comments:

  1. Idyllic. I had to look up crowanddunnage.com though. A bespoke screen printer in Sheffield? I sense Lord Pudding was the hand behind this graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had sort of made a mental note to look up the web address but never got round to it, so thanks for taking care of that. This "pill box" or gun placement (judging by the series of bolts in the floor inside) resides overlooking the most pleasant Cocklawburn Beach..... website wholly unrelated!

      Delete
  2. I am of course the managing director of Crow and Dunnage. We have shunned dull and familiar forms of advertising and opted for urban (and rural) scrawl... By the way Foxy Loxy, I bet you were so relieved when you discovered there was a Jehovah's Kingdom Hall in the village!
    May I humbly request more pictures and droll reflections re. your sojourn in Northumberland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you raise several issues Mr Pudding.....
      a) I know how much you loathe graffiti!
      b) The Jehova's kingdom hall was not only welcomed by myself (you can read this here if you can be arsed... and here too)
      c) More photos and miserable rantings to follow

      Delete
  3. The pillbox/gun emplacement overlooking the beach, is that historical or is it some facility hurriedly installed for your visit?

    I love wild, deserted, fly-blown, abandoned, dangerous places like Northumbria, parts of Scotland and my boxer shorts.

    Welcome back. More photos please, and none of yer usual excuses such as "the dog ate my camera, Miss". Get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. more photos are on their way as we speak..... well.... obviously not as we speak because I am using my keyboard to type..... and unlike me, the keyboard is not a competent multi-tasker!! And technically, we're not speaking.... we're typing..... so let's just say..... somewhere there are photos..... and somehow you might get to see them...... the means of this process are as yet undecided/undetermined.

      Delete
  4. being in a small village you have to act like a bird watcher
    with patience you will see a local if you know where to look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did spot one old guy waving at us while we drove past..... I only hope now is that he wasn't trying to "flag us down"!!

      Delete
  5. I wish I had known you were going AF. We were up in that area earlier in the year and found this fantastic pub called The Ship in a tiny village called Long Newton (on the coast, just above Embleton where we stayed) - they brew their own beer and make the most fantastic crab sarnies. I would have recommended it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need - that pub is well known to me and it's in Low Newton By The Sea - It's one of my favourite pubs EVER and I've been a few times but on this occasion we were unable to get the time to go there - gives me an excuse to go again though!!

      Delete
  6. I've just read the Berwick Advertiser article. It seems a lot of expense to go to build a new church for just 72 members. I suspect all these JW outposts are part of Mitt Romney's plans for world domination.

    And that journalist wants shooting. 'Congragation' indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's obviously the biggest thing to happen to Scremerston in donkeys' years. I am sure there'll be a parish paper or something that reported the news more eloquently than did the Berwick Advertiser, but the downside would be that it might be slightly more fire and brimstone. Oh, wait, that would make it more interesting then!!
      (if you change your name to Shooting Journos you can have the job)

      Delete