Thursday, August 09, 2012

Weeks

Flying through space and time at a rapid rate of knots.

This week, Curiosity landed on Mars and presumably it landed on the Martian cat that was having a crap in the giant litter tray (or crater as we prefer to call it).

Oh dear..... and therein lies the power of the internet..... one minute I am happily tootling along writing a blog, and the next minute I am watching videos of ducks accompanied by techno music....

Sidetracked.....

Here's where I got up to:

Curiosity confirms that there was indeed in the not so distant past, life on Mars

Mars landing plan of Curiosity
And then I started looking at ducks, foxes, Olympics... a whole heap of other sidetracking things..... and that's my point really....

Where do these weeks go?

One minute I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I've survived another Saturday scrumdown at the pub.... then there's the tranquility of line-cleaning on a Sunday morning.  Monday I do a little afternoon evening shift and I have two days off on Tuesday and Wednesday.  This week, on Tuesday, I have absolutely no idea what I did with my day.....  oh wait, yes I remember, I've been researching glasswashers (of the mechanical kind, not the two pound an hour spotty kind) and how we might successfully lease or hire one that performs better than the one we already have.

Ok, so that's most of the week so far accounted for..... and yesterday......  I went fishing.... I fished a little bit of the canal near Elland and had a few perch and a nice bream - was very slow going, but I sat out in the sun and had a nice relaxing day - must do it again sometime - not only because my fridge now has the customary remnants of a pint of maggots in it!

And that's where weeks go.....  add into the mixer that this week I had vowed not to drink, and have so far managed to drink every single day...... plenty of  Facebook.... Olympics..... curry..... blog reading.... pogo playing..... the list goes on....

Fox takes a deep breath.......  waiting for a call from a man about a glasswasher and then..... a bit of gardening and a shift at the pub tonight.


12 comments:

  1. Every time I see an image taken by Curiosity I can't help but picture the gaggle of chortling Martians being careful to stay behind it and out of camera view.

    I do have to question the good manners of searching for life by semi-crash landing a 1,000kg machine in someone's garden and discarding a landing module and several tungsten blocks to fall where they may, doing what damage they might. Would a simple check with Interstellar Directory Enquiries and a polite telephone call not have been a better initial approach to adopt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have you tried 118 or any other similar "directory" service lately? - these options were explored but the 1000kg machine and tungsten blocks worked out much cheaper!!

      Delete
  2. If you're getting a new glass washer, get one that cools them at the end of the cycle. One thing I hate is getting a nice cold drink in a warm glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there isn't actually such a thing as a glasswasher that cools at the end of a cycle.... there is (and if it were MY pub I'd buy it) a cooling rack made by Clenaware that cools and dries (drying is as big a problem as cooling) each rack of glasses in 4 minutes - recommended cooling time at ambient temps before reusing a glass should be 30 minutes!! I'm becoming a pub nerd!

      Delete
    2. I'm enjoying the journey into another (pub) world. Here's me envisaging you merrily polishing glasses behind the bar with a rich baritone 'evening, squire!' or 'afternoon, missus!' to all who enter your fuggy be-beamed and brassed snug...

      PS. Is anyone else pissed off at the automatic spelling correction that has appeared in Blogger? I LIKE to spell things unusually sometimes, OK Blogger? Grrr.

      Delete
  3. The older you get the faster time goes - remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't get me started on time...... it's an abstract concept and it's linear surely?

      Delete
  4. Can't understand why you closed this post about procrastination with a picture of some turds floating in a stagnant pond. Mind you I guess when we're lazy and fritter away days on end, it's easy to feel like one of those turds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a picture of a little wooden loch ness monster that gets moved around for a childrens' walk in the woods at Falling Foss near whitby, which is a lovely little dingly dell with a splendid tearoom!!

      Delete
    2. Notes down yet another lovely place to visit.

      Delete
  5. I thought the whole point of fishing was it slowed everything down? Infact,The whole point of Elland...................:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looking at Elland recently mate, with the knocking down of Gannex and the building of the new Morrisons...... not to mention the Drop Inn and Barge and Barrel..... and of course the big industrial estate where Suma are located..... Elland's not as sleepy as you might imagine.

      Delete