Thursday, August 16, 2012

Trying not...

I'm trying not to say "Oh blimey, it's Thursday already" but oh blimey, it's Thursday already!

I took a friend of mine out fishing yesterday - to give him an Arctic Fox style introduction to the noble art.....  and although it rained....and it rained.... and we were alright until the wind changed direction and the two of us impersonating drowned rats had to hang onto one of the umbrellas to keep one of us from going all Mary Poppins.......  He loved it!

We had a good day, but it's taken a very hot day and the hours until just now to dry my gear out.

We've pencilled in another trip for Sunday.

Now, back to my gardening.... having just spent a half hour in the company of grass trimming equipment in the exact colour of orange of your dreams....  I do still maintain that I'm a lazy gardener.

My garden's wildlife-centric or so I tell anyone who would care to comment on the strands of sticky willie and buttercups gone to seed.  The crops that grow beneath the bird feeders.  The borders that were once pin sharp are now beyond blurred.... they're positively overflowing.

Occasionally I walk round my garden with some secateurs..... sometimes with a kitchen knife..... I poke at this plant or prod this weed.... in fact, I even go as far as to not call my weeds weeds, because everyone knows weeds are just wild flowers in places they're not meant to be.  I pull something up that looks like it might be choking a more desirable thing..... and I generally just show the living rectangle out front of my house who's boss!

I find it therapeutic right up until the point it starts to resemble work.... and then I go and play computer games or something.

Anyway..... the reason why I'm motivated to write another bloody boring garden blog, is that today, during one of my fist shaking type garden rants, where I am trying to tell it to behave but it's not listening..... I noticed something which simply enforces my "laid back" approach to gardening.....

Now, bearing in mind it's August, and in fact, having just consulted my calender realised it's MID August.....  I noticed a couple of pots in the garden that still have winter bedding plants in them..... and not only are the plants STILL alive..... they're actually starting to do quite well.....  just goes to show.... if you hang onto something for long enough it DOES eventually come back into fashion..... now where's my sheepskin waistcoat?

some sort of pansy or summat

a primula

14 comments:

  1. I think you've got a point. We were out walking the other day and I almost pointed to some wild flowers to say 'Hey look! Bluebells'. But then I stopped in case I made a fool of myself. My knowledge of flowers isn't up to much, but I do know that the bluebells should have gone by now. But maybe they haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a fair bet that bluebells have gone!

      Delete
    2. funnily enough.... whilst out walking yesterday, I also spotted the bluebell like flowers.... it was raining so hard I couldn't photograph them but I know exactly what you mean now..... and no, I don't know what they are either!

      Delete
    3. ok after painful research with not much to go on..... I can now confirm that they are harebells! Here's what they look like - and for the record, in Scotland they DO call them bluebells

      Delete
  2. this pansy states that your pansy is infact a viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't a viola one of them mini violins? The kind you pretend to play when someone is telling their sob story?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. goose grass to you mister pudding!

      Delete
  4. Pansies flower all the year round AF, and do particularly well if you keep dead heading them.
    As for that Primula - all I can say is that it has got its dates wrong.

    As for the fishing in the pouring rain - ah well, to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you neglect.... erm..... carefully garden, then you could be in for such treats as all year round primulae too!!

      Delete
  5. Ahh, gardenering. Almost makes me want to get my own gardening-flamethrower out of the shed and have a go. Almost. With the price of five-star and Redex these days I have to be very selective about my gardenering.

    Have you seen those new weeding hand-grenades on sale? Damned clever devices, damned clever. You can sit in a deckchair and weed an entire perennials bed with just one over-arm toss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'll have a less of your one armed tossing over my beds!!

      Delete
  6. The top flower is a johnny-jump-up. It could go nicely with your sticky willie.

    ReplyDelete