Wednesday, August 01, 2012

checks

The Arctic Fox looks nervously over his shoulder to see if anyone is watching.

At the same moment, he tries to remove the gun from its holster and promptly shoots himself in the left foot whilst simultaneously putting his right foot in his own mouth.

You didn't know i was a contortionist did you?

Well those were the thoughts that swum lazily through my tired little mind early this morning when the landlord/lady confessed to having found my blog.........

"Arctic Fox" she laughed "nice photograph" and my feeble brain swung from thoughts of balance sheets and profit and loss calculations to whatever I might have divulged within these pages that may be incriminating / insulting / unprofessional / stupid.

It's the age-old blogging quandary - should I blog anonymously? should I be more careful with what I say?  I can't decide what's for the best.  I always hated it when my mum used to quote back things to me that she'd read on my blog....

Always when someone discovers my blog that i spend time with in a "real-world" scenario it makes me question whether i should be doing this at all.

I guess the difficult part about blogging is that you quickly realise that not everyone who reads blogs is familiar with the spirit in which some of the items are written.....

Some blog entries are written in the heat of the moment or in a state of emotion that might easily be taken out of context when read by the uninitiated.  A blog entry that might have been written a year ago in a tongue-in-cheek style may well not stand up to the scrutiny of the eyes of a relative who discovers my blog today.

I  hate looking over my shoulder and I hate not having the freedom to blog as i feel......  perhaps anonymous is the future?

The spirit of blogging MUST prevail!


15 comments:

  1. I know what you mean Foxy. I do try never to say anything too contraversial on my blog and I do try always to tell the truth. But I suppose one could build up a completely untrue Persona - for all you know I could be a twenty five year old glamour girl with a string of boy friends (I wish)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want(ed) my blog to be a place I could vent my spleen and repent at leisure..... perhaps naively? It's not the first time I've felt like this..... I am sure it will pass!!

      Delete
  2. Mr Fox, me ol' fruitbat's willy-warmer, you're a three dimensional human bean - who says you can't have opinions and reveal a little of your psyche? So long as you don't get nasty or libel anyone or bring the inn into disrepute, what of it? Your employers are employing a real person, not a cardboard cut-out.

    p.s. - you have old people all over your webcam.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as long as the old people weren't doing anything that old people shouldn't do (or at least be seen doing!).... then that's ok by me!

      Delete
  3. Worry ye not. You're always constructive and rational. If anything it shows you are literate, have an opinion, are tech savvy and worthy of any job that floats your way.

    Yes, yes, I do still read your blog albeit through Google reader. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.... thanks Kenny.... appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I've seen a few blogs come and go over the years, but those that were pulled because they had been outed were almost always about work. It was a shame because many of them were very entertaining - I can think of call centres, Morrisons and an NHS IT department that were good examples. And that has always been where I draw the line - if a blog might lose you your job and you want to keep it, then don't blog! Otherwise publish and be damned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not that I blog about work as much as venting my feelings generally whether they be about work, weather or video games..... I don't like the idea of having a ticklist of what's appropriate..... it's a temporary stumbling block.... I'll get over it!

      Delete
  5. That's another of the reasons I quit (or moved to Top Tens only). Once I become a teacher for real, I'm not sure I'd want any of my students finding my online rants. And you never know who's out there googling you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Rol, you're right..... it's a fine line.... I've had these crises of faith before and they generally fade and pale into insignificance like the rest of my thoughts..... just sometimes something happens that jars your attention..... roll on the next period where everyone forgets about my humble blog!

      Delete
  6. You've been here too long to go now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going anywhere..... it's a wobble that's all..... I'd be the same if my mum suddenly started quoting my blog back at me again!!

      Delete
  7. I am pleased that when I started my humble Yorkshire blog, I decided to use a pseudonym and later replaced my profile picture with a photo of a Yorkshire pudding face. I didn't want to allow easy access to who I am. This was very important because I was a teacher and there are so many malicious little shits out there who would readily make mischief with a teacher's blog and ultimately prevent the freedom of expression that blogging allows. I don't think you have said anything incriminating with regard to your pub work. In fact, I'd say the opposite - you've shown respect for your employers and a positive attitude to getting to grips with the job. Like Parrots says - publish and be damned! You're a good blogger, a decent bloke and if people want to make mischief from anything you've written then that's their stupid fault. It's easy to stand on the sidelines carping - harder to be out there on the field of play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're spot on mr pud..... it's easier to throw stones at those of us who live in glass houses.... sometimes I wish I had some venetian blinds to temporarily draw shut though!!

      Delete
  8. Blog on! But if you really want to rant and name names, you could put a password on that particular post... I think.

    ReplyDelete