Saturday, July 14, 2012

Trail

The butterfly effect is kicking in....

I don't know why, but when I am getting ready to do the afternoon and early evening shift at the pub on a Saturday, I start to get nervous.

As soon as I pour the first drink and my eyes get accustomed to the gloom over the till and the fine print on the keys thereof, I'm fine......

It's the "Ale Trail" that does it!

It's a bit like the feeling of jumping out of a plane and hoping that you have a parachute strapped to your back but without being able to check until you're falling to earth.

It's unpredictable and a bit wild.....  you could crash in a heap on the floor with Carling lager all around you or you could float majestically to earth, landing on the big red cross amid raptures of applause with a finely poured pint of real ale clutched in your hand.

Who knows what the afternoon will bring....

I only hope it isn't a series of requests for "shooters" and "jagerbombs" and that everyone just wants Guinness and Carling - it would make life much simpler for us humble serving agents!

So there you go..... I'm up to date with the Tour De France..... nonplussed over the latest events in the Big Brother house...... and if I don't pour a drink for someone soon, well I might just break into a cold sweat!

See you all tomorrow for a Sunday Search perhaps?


6 comments:

  1. Imperiously raps knuckles on bar and shouts 'Landlord! - I want twelve Mai Tais, eight Sidecars, seven Manhattans, five Mojitos and an Old-Fashioned in a bucket and a packet of salted peanuts for the dog ... how much is that? Come on, come on - haven't got all day you know!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly, you would not believe how close to the truth you are!!

      Consider that at one point during the day in the space of 1 hour we took about 300 quid on "shots" alone..... rounds like 12 jagerbombs or 22 raspberry sambucas!!

      Groans!

      Delete
  2. That's MY hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'd LOVE to be able to say it's the queen's hand, but it is in fact the king's hand. Henry Moore's king and queen bronze which are overlooking the Glenkiln Reservoir - it's a magical little place..... worth seeking out - I didn't see another soul except the sheep when I walked round it.

      Delete