Monday, July 02, 2012

More

More working at the bar.....

The day began with a list - I like lists because they are easy to follow.....

Sweep up outside....  check.
Polish tables...... check
Clean bar back and sink area..... check
Clean glass washer...... check
Take Euro 2012 decorations down..... check

A local chap's funeral was taking place at the church behind the pub today, so that brought a few punters through the door.....  managed to chat to a few of them, some making it much more difficult than others, and some even offering me little stories about the deceased..... 

I pulled some good pints today.  In fact I'd go as far as to say I pulled some bloody good pints today.

The nerves are settling.  I'm finding my way around the till a bit better.  I can enjoy it more now than at first and I'm starting to think I'll be quite good at this "pub" mallarkey after all.

So, I'm quite happy to offer up at this point..... I'm working in a pub in the village of Slaithwaite (That's pronounced "Slawit" - and don't forget it).

Was nice to see a pal drop in to the pub at tea-time and offer a little bit of support too..... always makes me feel better to serve someone I know..... and especially if they like what they get!!

I even stayed AFTER work to help my mate (who runs the pub) to try to fix up a new glass washing machine that we "acquired" - all to no avail unfortunately.

So, roll on Thursday, my next shift..... feel free to pop along for a snifter!


11 comments:

  1. I LOVE lists
    I make them daily
    I like them
    because
    they make me feel better,
    I have a bed memory
    they are satisfying
    hells teeth...just made another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like making lists..... I had a list made for me.... and that, in my book, amounts to a luxury item!

      Delete
  2. I am building up a great picture here. Blazing fire with some old fart sitting in front of it who moved in when the pub first opened and has been nursing the same pint ever since, the piano player asleep on his keys, a warm pork pie sagging gently under glass and you shouting tiiiiiime gennelmen ple-eease ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not far off the mark during the week, but come the weekend, come the trains, come the stag do and hen parties!!! Lorks-a-lummy!

      Delete
  3. Why the hell does the pub have Polish tables? What's wrong with rickety English ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has Polish tables AND Dutch courage, quite literally, on tap!

      Delete
  4. The dangers of having too much access to internet ...
    "There are several public houses in Slaithwaite. The 'Silent Woman' pub came to the attention of the world media on 23 September 2007, when a man walked into the pub and ordered a pint of beer a few minutes after he had murdered his son and attacked his daughter with a knife."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all true.... massive local tragedy - not made any less palatable by the fact that his son was only four years old and his daughter, a teenager. Bad times indeed.

      No, I don't work at the Silent Woman!

      Delete
    2. Horrific! And it goes on, I don't know back in the UK, but barely a week goes by here without hearing about some nutter (usually a man) who slaughters his own family and then kills himself - only wish they'd try doing it in the opposite order.

      Delete
  5. Wish I lived near enough to pop in - maybe I would get a discount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to say, there are no discounts!! Unless you buy something silly like 5 bottles of beer or 4 jagerbombs..... filthy stuff and not something of which I approve!

      Delete