Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting....

Just getting ready to nip out for a swift Chinese meal, followed by a couple of beers in a local hostelry.... and preferably one where they know how to pull pints! (As it turns out the pints were not up to their usual and my exacting standards)

I DID work last night..... a decent shift and my pints are getting slightly better but you still get the stupid/awkward punters who test your resolve.

A guy nurses a pint of John Smiths Smooth for over an hour and then wonders why it's flat.  I'm drawn into this as if it's some kind of legitimate discussion.

The other annoying thing about last night, is just as I climbed into bed..... I began to wonder whether I'd turned the gas off checked that the windows were closed.  This is so infuriating because it reminds me of my Grandma who would go back to her front door a number of times to make sure she'd actually locked it,

So, at some ungodly.... after midnight anyway, I find myself driving back down to the pub to empty an ashtray and check the windows!  I slept better afterwards.

Lazy day - the calm before the storm of Saturday...... Full belly.... Big Brother to the max...... time for bed said Zebedee!


8 comments:

  1. You're not alone in that - when I lived in (south) Norfolk once and was going away for the weekend I got as far as King's Lynn and couldn't remember locking the front door. I had to drive all the way back, otherwise it would have ruined the weekend ...

    Does beer go flat? I thought it was held in some cylindrical shape by the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an interesting article about an astronaut who developed a tear-drop shaped cylindrical drinking cup which allowed "normal" drinking to take place in zero G through capillary action!

      Let me see if I can find a link - it was in Nat Geo but it might be on the web somewhere - I found it quite interesting because it was more about the comforting aspect of actually drinking from a cup that inspired it.

      Look.... there you go..... everyone could learn something today - Space Cup

      Delete
  2. Well, I think your caution is very commendable. And I LOVE the beach-donkey. I'm delighted they still have them. Where did you snap that pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha "caution" or "careless paranoia" - call it what you will!!

      As for the beach donkey - I took this from the promenade at Scarborough - we still have beach donkeys and they are quite strictly monitored - they have to have certain conditions like equal opportunities, cigarette breaks, and the right to appeal! I think they DID go through a rather dark period where, like most working animals in this country, they were neglected for profit, but I think it's changed a fair bit now - perhaps I'll look into this and find out what the actual conditional requirements for putting donkeys on a beach amounts to???

      Delete
  3. There is a bit of your grandma in me too. I am only one step away from sticking elastoplast over electric sockets when I take the plug out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always refer to it as "did I turn the gas off?" - it's not a bad thing but it does have similarities with ocd and old-timers disease..... saying that.... once you KNOW you've checked and everything's good, you get a much better night's sleep!

      Delete
  4. I regularly go back to check I've locked the door / shut the windows etc. It's OCD and it drives me barmy.

    ReplyDelete