Thursday, May 03, 2012

Snooker loopy...

It's about this time of the year when my alter ego emerges.....

Not one to sit down and watch television, especially during the day.... when snooker comes to the Crucible.... I make an exception.

I've been watching it for years..... I've always liked some of the snooker "characters".... the Alex Higginseses, Big Bill Werbeniukseses (the only man I've ever known to have a doctors note to allow him to sink a number of pints of beer BEFORE a game), Ronnie O'Sullivanseses, Ray (Count Dracula) Reardonseses... etc etc.... I have some great snooker memories, albeit most of the early ones are as a result of VERY late nights (staying up well after my bedtime).

I will at this point mention that today's Ali Carter and Stephen Maguire match has left me a bit cold!

I'll watch it all day... all night.... and go to bed and watch the highlights of whatever I've been watching all day.

I've played a few games of snooker.... I've never been any good at it.... I don't even think my custard pie eyes could even see the far end of a snooker table these days.  I seem to remember at one point even falling asleep on a snooker table during a particular heavy session.... mid-shot!  The less said about those crazy days at the Slawit Con Club the better!

I don't think I could sit and watch the snooker live at the Crucible, or anywhere else for that matter..... sometimes it's nice to get up and make a coffee or take a "nature break" at will.... besides which, my afternoon nap would undoubtedly raise eyebrows when I began to snore!  I am sure it would make interesting TV though.

At least we're now down to a reasonable number of players left in the tournament, and that means I've now got chance to get the tea on.....  veg curry tonight with a side dish of snooker.... you're all invited.... bring a bottle!


8 comments:

  1. I live with a snooker freak (the farmer) so am seeing every match ad infinitum - plus any repeats. Still it is all over on Monday so not long to go. Do hope Ronnie wins.

    PS i am putting you on my side bar to follow you today - I have at last discovetred how to refresh my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding me, and sorry to disappoint in advance of all the tripe I will write in future posts!

      Delete
  2. Oh and that's a bad miss! ;Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snooker just hasn't been the same for me since colour television. All of the mystery has gone out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." - the late, great, whispering Ted Lowe!

      Delete
  4. I walked past The Crucible yesterday and - I don't mean to namedrop or anything - but I bumped into Alex Higgins. Surprisingly, he didn't ask for my autograph or anything. Between you and me he was so pale and thin he looked like death warmed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably just needed a Guinness transfusion!

      Delete