Thursday, May 31, 2012

Slugs

The downside of this cooler, wetter weather.... is slugs an snails!

My garden is always full of those slimy critters.... it's a veritable mucussy Mecca!

Went fishing today.... and yes, it was drizzling when I got there.... it rained a little bit heavier whilst I set up my fishing tackle..... and by about five o clock this afternoon it had passed.

I'm not the only one that's been suffering in these balmy days and nights of recent summeriness.... the fish have started to expire in my local fishing pond.... last count they'd lost about forty fish in the last couple of days..... it's not a pretty sight..... and I can tell you the smell of putrefying fish is none too pleasant either.

So, this morning when I set my fishing gear up and my umbrella and accidentally sat on my favourite fishing reel.... managing to bend the bail arm and simultaneously putting a hole in my fishing seat.....

Slugs..... bloody everywhere..... they crawl on everything around me, and each time I pick something up I find I am left with a slug on my pants or my hands..... they're disgusting creatures.  I look down at my cup of coffee and there's a slug on the lip of the cup.....  every sip of coffee thereafter is taken very, very carefully, through a gritted teeth filter!

The umbrella attracts hordes of mosquitoes that like to shelter from the rain with me.... and believe me, you don't want to mess with a Brighouse mosquito.... they're voracious!  After the mozzies, come the midges.... and they just seem to overwhelm you not with their bites, so much as sheer numbers!!  After an hour or two of that my skin feels like it's crawling with them.  I can still feel them now.... I have mosquito and midge paranoia!

So.... you'd probably be imagining that, putting up with all that, the reward would be some fish?  you'd largely be wrong on that score!!  I managed just five fish today... a couple of carp, a couple of tench and a solitary bream.  My poor mate John had just one tiny roach!

Poor do!

What are slugs for?


11 comments:

  1. You're doing a really good job of selling fishing as a pleasant pastime.

    What I'd like to know is what it is about milk bottles that slugs find so attractive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my intention was to show that fishing CAN be quite a futile activity.... I know a lot of people think fishing is cruel to the fish.... I might argue that it is often crueller to the angler!
      I think they (slugs, not fish or anglers) are attracted to anything white - my bait bucket is often targetted for that reason.... also they love the smooth surfaces!!

      Delete
  2. AF ( PLEASE TELL ME YOUR NAME af...IT'S weird calling you AF)

    all I can say about slugs is a slightly hysterical
    "KILL!!!KILL!!!!KILL 'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I DID at some point... it's Jason!

      I poke slugs with sticks.... I don't squish them but I do feed them to the fishies!

      Delete
  3. Just be grateful that slugs are the size they are, and not hippoid or elephantine in proportions ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. somehwere out there in infinite space.... there's a planet just like this one where slugs rule the roost and we humans are forced to ride around on tricycles obeying their every command! Think about it!

      Delete
  4. Slugs are probably wondering, "what are humans for?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're for squishing and salting and slug pelleting slugs of course!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like delirium tremens to me! What are slugs for? In centuries gone by, many country people would salt them and eat them in the wintertime - a good, cheap source of protein - like snails. Why not try it? No fishing gear required - you just walk around and pick them up. Lovely sautéed in garlic butter and chopped red onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're not fooling me..... the only slugs considered "edible" are the banana slugs.... and they DO have slug eating contests where these slugs exist.... America perhaps? SEE!

      Delete
    2. I know I am sometimes guilty of mischievous humour but on this occasion I was not fooling you. Some English country people really DID eat slugs.

      Delete