Friday, May 25, 2012

Saddle

Hooray.......

After a brief spell of incapacity.... amounting to a series of complaints and mutations of various germs and infections..... I've made it back outside and back to walking.

Managed a rather warm but deliciously breezy four miles (give or take) on a circuitous route around our local water of Scammonden Dam, which motorists will know as the water that the M62 motorway crosses on the dam wall between junctions twenty two and twenty three, and which is quite close to the spot where the motorway is divided by a farmhouse that stood defiantly against the construction project, allegedly through the farmer sitting on the roof of his house.

Dazzling blue skies, bright yellow cowslip, and dark peaty water.  A new path, stark, bright, white hot.  windblown waves lapping across the water and murky edges where the silt is being stirred.

I'm pleased to say that my legs haven't gone back to their old sloppy ways, and rather than feeling fatigued or tested by the route, I felt like I could have walked a fair bit farther.  Good sign, and one that I'll be acting upon in the not so distant future.

The rest of the day has been spent in darkness..... blinds shut tight, keeping the sun out of the house, and the few windows that can be opened are indeed open and all the doors are propped open to avoid the characteristic slamming that occurs when the breeze catches them!!

The house is now reasonably and quite comfortably cool, if rather dark!

Tomorrow I have plans to mend my garden shed....  I laughingly refer to it as a shed..... it's got to be the smallest shed in town and provides JUST enough room to house a pair of folding lawnmowers and a few pots of old chemicals that you usually find in sheds and garages.

The shed roof has collapsed and I've got plans that, with the assistance of my mate, John, we'll replace the roof and re-felt it so that my electric mowers don't kill me next time I need to use them.  Perhaps I'll post a picture or two for you..... depends if it goes OK or not I guess!


8 comments:

  1. Your Shed Will Be Like A Sauna!!!!Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let's hope so.... well, actually, I'd settle for "dry" and "waterproof"!!

      Delete
  2. It looks fun on the M62 from your photo. Was the traffic stopped to let the Whit Walks cross over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are quite right with your observation of the M62... the picture is of an accident near junction 23.... if you look in the distance on the left hand side.... you can see the air ambulance landed in the middle of the motorway.... not sure what it was all about but it went on for enough time!! A lovely way to spend a Friday afternoon eh?

      Delete
  3. Oh the M62 - I must have driven it once or, cough cough, twice. In all weathers including ice-rink mode and that lovely occasion when the wind was so strong that my 2.8 litre auto car wouldn't change up out of 2nd gear because of the headwind (foot to floor just to keep going) ... I also remember driving northern England side to side before they built the M62 ... Give it a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hug it daily..... well not hug it, but I do live near it and see it every day.... I'm quite fond of the old girl!!

      Delete
  4. welcome to the land of the living!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.... now back to the Walking Dead!!

      Delete