Thursday, May 24, 2012

s.... h.... o.... pp.... i.... n.... g!

I like shopping, I do!

Rare as it is for "real" men to feel the need or desire for retail therapy.... I have a hankering for more stuff!

I like gadgets and kitchen implements (not appliances).  I like gizmos and fishing tackle.  I even like shopping for fruit and vegetables!

I HATE shopping for clothes.  I don't like shopping for cars, for birthday presents, christmas presents or mobile phones.  Thank heavens for internet shopping where these items are concerned.

This brings me on to the subject of our trip to the Sculpture Park, yesterday....  My cousin and aunt, who both live in Canadia both loved the Sculpture Park when I took them there and gave them a Foxified guided tour - I'm no expert but I've been a few times and I know nice paths to the L:ongsight Gallery and back again, taking in my favourite pieces along the way - and I like to send them something from there whenever I visit.....

So, shopping at Yorkshire Sculpture Park.....

I wanted something relating to the Miro exhibition to send to Canadia....  a card or some postcards perhaps.... alas, there were none on sale.... not a single Miro product that weighed less than a fridge magnet (a pointless item if ever there was one - except perhaps the magnetic poetry set and the magnetic ransom note set) and nothing much less fragile than glassware and china cups..... a poor show, and I left the gift shop without spending a proverbial penny!

What a shame.

And now, I've been given a green light to buy myself some fishing tackle.... so that's a bonus and scratches the itch that needs an unresoved scratching from yesterday.  for the record, I'm buying some Guru X-Safe spare elastic and tubes; Korum bait stops; Korum baiting needle; three new spools of Drennan Series 7 monofilament (4.6lb; 5.6lb; 6.9lb); and some Guru four inch method hair rigs (size 14 to 9lb line) - great stuff.

I can only imagine the state of coldness that the above list will have left you all feeling!

Itch scratched!

11 comments:

  1. But I thought that real men just fished by throwing rocks into the water and knocking the fish unconscious? Is there no "Ug" in you at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much more delicate than that! Delicate to the extent that some days it's a battle of man versus equipment versus fish!! Today was good... I fished a method feeder which largely involves sitting back and waiting for a fish to pull your rod into the water before jumping out of your skin and spilling your coffee.... I did nod off for five minutes this afternoon... made sure I had hold of the rod but still missed a fish!!

      Delete
    2. My mother taught me how to fish. Many's the day she'd pepper the local pond with her machine-gun and it would be my job to wade out and collect whatever floated to the surface.

      Delete
  2. I only like shopping for books...oh and greetings cards......oh and hens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like buying old maps and walking books - I tend to buy a lot of books from charity shops and shamefully I hardly ever get round to reading them!! I've never bought a hen in my life!

      Delete
  3. Sorry, no feeling for fishing, but I do agree with your shopping ideas, more or less. Can do all my clothes shopping for the next 10 years if you'll give me twenty quid and 10 minutes in Primark. But I do like to buy wacky and/or protest type and/or stupid message type t-shirts which I look hopeless in - but I like 'em, so there!
    I could spend days on end in a CD shop (yep, some of us still buy 'em), or a book shop. And, I'm afraid I do like the odd fridge magnet - about the only souvenir type thing I'm keen on - probably as it's a vertical one, so no dusting needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never apologise for not feeling remotely connected to anything I write or do!! You're here and reading it and that's the most important thing.... nobody (except Shirley Valentine) likes to think they are talking to the wall!! I like cards and postcards that remind me of places I've been!

      Delete
  4. af
    WHAT is your real name dare I ask.... AF seems so teenage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone calls me fox or Foxy.... but you can call me Jason!

      Delete
  5. I am sneezing at the rape photo already.

    A man who likes shopping? Quite a rarity although I suppose fishing tackle is an exception - now I would find that really boring.

    I once bought a fantastic Miro inspired t shirt at an airport - can't remember which airport - but you wouldn't think it beyond the bounds of possibility for such things to be in the shopat the sculpture park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no doubt there were plenty of t-shirts and larger items for considerably more money than I'd care to part with.... I just wanted a small gesture to send to my folks that I know would have made their days.... a friend of mine also went looking for cards and they said "we haven't got them in yet" so presumably they aim to get some...... but add in the travelling costs and parking fees and it'd be cheaper to send them an original... well almost!!

      Delete