Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Feed a fever....

Somewhere deep at the back of my consciousness, I seem to remember that you're supposed to feed a fever but starve a cold!

I'm not sure where such a tale would come from or whether it has any relevance at all.

Feeling somewhat jaded (i.e. I'm actually dying, but we men don't like to go on about it too much) I decided to take advantage of a brace of fridges (we have a fridge each - myself and Dawn for reasons including: I keep maggots in my fridge for fishing; Dawn brought her fridge with her when she moved in; nobody touches stuff in my fridge cos everything in there usually actually needs cooking and can't be picked up and eaten) that were fairly stuffed with fresh fruit and vegetables.

I knuckled down and made a pan of stew, which included swede, runner beans, potato, onions, carrots and some quorn steak strips (which actually are not bad) and a packet mix of dumplings floating on top..... hearty to say the least.

Once the stew was on the simmer.....

I peeled and chopped and scraped and diced and squashed and spiced and whipped up a rather large pan full to the brim of vegetable curry which included apples, celery, onions, garlic, carrots, cauliflower, potato, sultanas and green beans (long green beans?  French?) and some spices in the form of ginger, turmeric and cayenne.

Once both pans were on the go......

Cracked on and made some fresh fruit salad out of a bunch of fruits that needed using up.... pears, oranges, pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries.

So.... going back to the old adage about feeding a fever and starving a cold..... I'm not actually sure what sort of ailment I'd put myself down as having.....  so I wouldn't know whether to feed it or starve it.....

One thing's for sure though..... I've made enough food to last me until the weekend and I'm pretty sure that it can only do me good!  I've got a belly full of stew.... I've had some fruit salad..... and in about an hour (just chance to watch one episode of Walking Dead).... I'll be away to my pit!

Na-night!


4 comments:

  1. As a nurse both are wrong... you feed BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest assured.... I would never starve myself for any illness!! I've been pigging out on stew, fruit salad and fresh air!! working a treat!

      Delete
  2. My prescription: Rest, keep wam, but not hot, plenty of liquid, and yep, plenty of vitamin C from where-ever.

    I hope you're feeling better soon. And Dawn too of course. If she is feeling poorly (we call it 'crook' in NZ) do you call her Dawn of the Dead? Or does that make her cross?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it makes her less cross now that she's discovered she actually quite likes zombies - re: walking dead - where before.... our first cinema date was a disaster... I took her to see the Hills Have Eyes remake.... she was horror hating to the extreme.... you've never met anyone more "jumpy" than Dawn!! When we went to see Woman in Black... the girl next to Dawn in the cinema jumped and that made Dawn jump!!

      Delete