Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy George Day

Happy St. George's Day - What's that mean?  I'm glad you asked because I don't know either....

April 23rd... no fanfares, no trumpets, no fireworks, no national getting drunk day, no national holiday even....  what's the "unifying" experience that brings us all together then?  Answers on a postcard!

What I CAN tell you about this day is that historically it's been a good day for sporting prowess....  On this day in 1977 Vlastimil Hort (Czech chess grandmaster) earned himself a world record by playing 201 games simultaneously, whilst at the same time Dr. Allen Bussey looped a yo-yo a staggering 20,302 times and only lost control of it ten times.  Neither of them were British.

This day is also overshadowed by being the anniversary (from as far back as 1984) that the AIDS virus was discovered - and it TOO wasn't British.... nor was it cricket!

The other significant events that this day could be remembered for are:

1923 - Stalin officially opened the Moscow Underground.
1616 - Miguel de Cervantes (creator of Don Quixote) shuffled off this mortal coil.

And finally.... British FACT (possibly):
1348 - The Order of the Garter was founded (the highest order of English chivalry - not including holding the door open for a bird) - *** A BRITISH FACT ****
1564 - William Shakespeare was born (good times but possibly not even a real event)
1616 - William shakespeare died (bad times but possibly not even a real event)
1850 - William Wordsworth died (bad times) **** FACT ****
1915 - Rupert Brooke died (bad times) **** FACT ****

Home
I came back late and tired last night
Into my little room,
To the long chair and the firelight
And comfortable gloom.

But as I entered softly in
I saw a woman there,
The line of neck and cheek and chin,
The darkness of her hair,
The form of one I did not know
Sitting in my chair.

I stood a moment fierce and still,
Watching her neck and hair.
I made a step to her; and saw
That there was no one there.

It was some trick of the firelight
That made me see her there.
It was a chance of shade and light
And the cushion in the chair.

Oh, all you happy over the earth,
That night, how could I sleep?
I lay and watched the lonely gloom;
And watched the moonlight creep
From wall to basin, round the room,
All night I could not sleep.
(Rupert Brooke)


5 comments:

  1. best wishes St GEORGE
    all the best
    st David!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go forth my son and with brave heart take on the dragons of thy day! Tally ho for England! For Albion! For our sceptred isle! ENGER-LAND!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - didn't know that Brooke poem.

    St George was Syrian, or something, I heard recently... never mind, we need someone to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. St George Syrian? No effing way. He was from Cleckheaton! His mam worked in the co-op.

    ReplyDelete