Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Refreshing change.

It's not often I blow someone else's trumpet. I make an odd exception today.

Today marks the launch of a new website called Freeze Frame. It's a collection of digitised images of polar expeditions between 1845-1982. Some of the images are so rare (on glass plate negatives for example, and purchased with a lottery grant to preserve them) that we would otherwise never get to see them.

There are some great pictures on there and it's a great archive of historic images - some great images from the Scott expeditions. As you can imagine, on the day of launch, it's very difficult to get anywhere near the website.... I'm sure it'll settle down and we'll all get to view these great images.

Go and have a look for yourself, but don't get too frustrated with the speed of it!!

As for me.... well I've been out with my own camera (again) and taken some almost "passable" shots today... a good thing.



One of two.... a snowdrop shot from the recent photography class that I went to. This is the image that was billed as the "snowdrop shot of the day". I quite like it, but there's a little bit of fault in the focus to my eyes.... Personally I prefer the second shot of the two, which you'll see at some point soon. Spring springing.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nod.

    It should be a lot better now: we were getting silly numbers of people trying to visit at around 12-1 (no time to analyse right now): required some quick thinking. Thanks to WP-SuperCache, we just about survived, ;). I'm now trying to work out what devilish shcemes we can come up with for the anticipated peak at 5pm-6pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well would you look at that!!!

    A real life comment from a real life person that I've given a nod to.... amazing this internet bollocks aint it!!

    I think it had something to do with it being on the lunchtime news!!!

    Thanks for taking time out to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An important part of the art of photography is to place the far & near extremes of your depth of focus in the right places - autofocus makes this extremely difficult and there are times when it makes sense to switch to manual focus & use your depth of field preview. You need to check out the effect of your diaphragm aperture has on the depth of field and how it extends on each side of the point of the actual focus. his is a lott more simple than it sounds in my short explanation. Try this link for an extended version with illustrations.
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

    ReplyDelete