Thursday, January 01, 2009

Cold....

It's so cold (by dear old Blighty standards at least). Yesterday, for the first time ever, I witnessed freezing fog. A veil of icing sugar drifted down across the misty slopes of Huddersfield for the entire day. On the local weather last night I heard that the peak temperature during the day had been a chilling minus four degrees (centigrade) which is fairly rare in this place!!

Dry cold is nicer than wet cold, and cold weather is not so bad when your central heating is working and you've just gotten shut of a nasty strain of flu. All this being said, I enjoy the scenery when it's all coated with a deep, hard frost.

As for the rest of it, we went and got a bit pickled at the faithful Barge and Barrel - I was drinking a couple of really excellent beers - Phoenix's Black Bee and Durham's White Amarillo - very nice indeed - Dawn managed to stay off the cider bus for a night and got a bit merry on Leffe (a giant killer of a brew!!). We came home for just after 11 o' clock and I cooked a few snacks and we saw the new year in with a cuppa and a game on the Wii.

White rabbits..... pinch and a punch..... happy new year...... apparently Alaska and Hawaii are the last to experience the turning of the page? correct me if I'm wrong.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe ,this year, Alaska came to Yorkshire to see in The New Year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaii is quite a long way from the international dateline. Much closer are Western and American Samoa. The dateline has bends in it and I think that the last inhabited island to enter 2009 would have been Attu - the most westerly of the Aleutian Islands. I might be wrong but I couldn't be bothered to do further research. Presently, Attu is only home to a handful of US coastguards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete