Monday, February 25, 2008

Frosty walk.

Happy 500th Blogger posting to me!!

Last week I went for a walk. We had a few really frosty mornings, and I decided to head along the towpath from Slawit to Marsden.... it's a lovely place to be in allsorts of weather or if I am on foot or the bike.... it's still a classy bit of countryside.

Here's a few pics from that walk (20th Feb 2008)


The barge in Slawit.... a good place to stop off for a cuppa. (This was actually at the end of the walk chronologically, but geographically represents where I started, if you know what I mean?)


Dancing on ice. I love ducks, especially when they're tootling about on a frozen canal. This was taken outside the Empire Brewery in Slawit.


Mossy stone in the woods. Between the river Colne and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, just outside Slawit, lies a fairly rampant wooded scrubland (a good place to dump bodies it seems) that has a few paths and stuff leading through it. I love mossy stones like this one!!


Icy blast. I love it when frost collects on grass and blackberry bushes like this one. You almost get a sense of the direction and temperature of the wind that came last night. A visible reminder of the cloudless twinkling starry night before.


Locks. A FoX on some locks. How much did I enjoy my time doing canal restoration? Immensely, and I never tire of those watery silver veins that brought industry flowing through our local towns and villages.


Marsden. An excellent opportunity to stop off for a couple of pints of Premium Mild at the Riverhead before the walk back to Slawit.

You may or may not have noticed that, contrary to my closing statement yesterday, I haven't actually updated "random shopping" at all!! I am an idiot.... the pictures I had to update were all taken with some stupid settings on my phone camera, and the net result is..... rubbish!!

4 comments: