Friday, October 19, 2007

Two stupid dogs.

Well, I'll say there are two idiots today.

I'm an idiot for contributing to "Blog Action Day" by writing something about the environment.... But I forgot to register on the website, so I guess my efforts were in vain. That does, of course, depend on how much influence you would credit my next idiot with.....

Idiot two for today, is awarded to those lovely people that run the "Blog Action Day" website. They're either too busy drinking nettle wine, or reclaiming jumpers from those little tufts of wool that you find on barbed wire to notice:

a) If you are going to hold an event on a specific date, then your promotional materials (specifically the banners and buttons provided) ought to at least carry the date that the event will be held....
b) For at least a day or two after the event, it might be prudent to NOT delete or move the webpages that you have encouraged all your participants to link to. The following day "Blog Action Day" decided to remove all their promotional graphics, and of course if you look back at my October 15th posting, you'll clearly see at the top of it..... well, nothing, and that's my point. Bloody idiots!!

Question: What would happen if every blog published posts on the same topic, on the same day? One issue. One day. Thousands of voices.
Answer: I, for one, won't be participating in such a poorly run "event" again. That's not to say I won't talk about the environment, but I don't need the help of someone else to do it.

Can you tell they've annoyed me a little? I've been spitting feathers. Choking on my own bile. Too upset to write a word. Not true, of course, but I AM annoyed by it.

I'm also slightly annoyed that, at some point, early this morning, I turned over in bed, briefly opened my eyes and saw the most amazing golden autumnal sunrise that you could possibly imagine. The thought of jumping out of bed and grabbing my camera and running into the street skimmed like a flat stone across the surface of my brain, before it sank to the murky depths below. I turned over and went back to sleep.

I'm looking out of the window now, at the flattest, most grey, windless, unphotogenic October morning in the history of evolution.

I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere.... I know there's a lesson about photography and that you have to catch those "golden" moments for great pics, but there's something deeper.... .... I don't know, I'm sure it will come to me as soon as the nurse has given me a bed bath and put cream all over my bed sores.

10 comments:

  1. Mate i'm surprised your cynical self expected anything else from blog action day.....
    Pol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that golden sunrises never happen when you have finished your porridge and ready for the day Mr Fox?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does seem to have been something of a damp squib. I did register, but might as well not have done. No feedback, no links, no evidence of extra visitors, nothing, far as I cana tell. Might as well have stayed in bed.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was Henri Cartier-Bresson who coined the phrase about a photographic opportunity as the decisive moment.

    I'll bet he didn't turn over and go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good people are rarely well-organised. It's the reason a small group of bastards can do a lot of damage in a short time - superior organisational skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an idiot in more ways than one because you have been "foxed" (excuse the pun) by a simple spelling mistake. It was "Bog Action Day" - not Blog! On Bog Action Day we were all meant to strip bogs of ancient peat layers, denuding the fragile bog eco systems so that developers could erect industrial estates and designer homes! Just remeber this for next year. Also, are they male nurses applying the bed sore cream? Watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bokeh, bokeh, where art thou?
    Sleeping soundly, snoozing now.
    Bokeh, bokeh, will you play?
    Cosy, warm, in bed I'll stay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If someone writes a blog, and no one is able to link to it, does it still make a sound?

    LOL!

    Your blog did inspire me to help the environment, after reading it I finally got around to buying energy efficient light bulbs for the most used fixtures in our new house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete