Friday, October 26, 2007

Cop out.

Bloody hell. Sometimes you realise that what you do is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Tonight, I stood, in one of Huddersfield's "real ale" pubs (which is admittedly why I was there... ale) and it was apparently "open mic" night.

Rarely have I been to such an event, and perhaps more surprisingly, even more rarely would I knowingly frequent such an event...... but let me tell you this.... Britain's got talent!!!

There was a chap there, who chose to recite poetry.... in front of a drunken crowd?? This guy was rocketing up in my estimation.

By the end of his performance, two pieces.... one about two pandas shagging, and one written specifically for the venue, the rat and ratchet.... (rat and rat-shit.... if you didn't get it), I was completely hooked.

I could do no more. I did something I have never done before, and wrote my email address and blog address on a piece of paper, tried to encourage the chap (in my inimitably amateur way) and hoped he would get in touch.

I live to deliver a video of the panda poem to you all.

I hope, and this is not showboating, but, I hope if he comes to see me, that he will see:

Toast.

and.......

Gonzo.

Two extreme examples of what happen here.

All hail, the people who make unexpected things happen, the world over.

I kneel in silent prayer. I write stupid words from behind a keyboard, but I would never DARE to stand up in front of a crowd and speak such things..... listen to the tune over the top..... it's a truth I'd never dare speak!!!

Enjoy.

Oh, a brief update to this posting: I promised myself not to go drunken blogging, but there ya go!! Don't drink and blog!!

3 comments:

  1. Ol' Man River,
    Dat Ol' Man River,
    He mus' know sumpin',
    But don' say nothin';
    He jes' keeps rollin',
    He keeps on rollin' along.

    He don't plant taters,
    He don't plant cotton,
    An' dem dat plants 'em
    Is soon forgotten,
    But Ol' Man River,
    He jes' keeps rollin' along.

    You an' me, we sweat an' strain,
    Body all achin' and racked with pain.
    "Tote dat barge! Lift dat bale!"
    Git a little drunk,
    An' you lands in jail!

    Ah gits weary,
    An' sick o' tryin',
    Ah'm tired o' livin',
    And skeered o' dyin',
    But Ol' Man River,
    He jes' keeps rollin' along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dare, no I double dare you to get up and perform next time you visit that pub! You have got some amusing tales and a dry sense of humour. I am sure you could do it and because I have double dared you you have to do it.... Idea from this morning - a stereotypical works leaving speech delivered in a dead pan tone.

    ReplyDelete