Friday, September 28, 2007

Smoking.

Well, it's been some time now since I quit smoking. About six months in fact!!

I can now see what a great move it was to quit, and how silly I was to not quit before. I guess the old adage is true, that you need to want to quit before you really will.

So, now my mum's quit too!! She's smoked for 50 years.... yes, five-zero!! She hasn't had a cig for two weeks now, and we'd both appreciate it if you'd raise a glass or put your hands together in appreciation of that!!

I just wanted (for my own benefit really) to go through my numbers again just to reinforce the difference it's made to me.

Since I quit:
I have not smoked: 7680 cigarettes.
I have been cig free for: 192 days.
I have not spent: £2016 (4088 USD; 4085 CAD; 26547 SEK)

Most importantly.....
I have not ingested: 61.44 Grams of tar into my lungs.
I have not inhaled: 61.44 Grams of carbon monoxide.

And for you delight, here are some items that weighs the same as that amount of tar or the amount of carbon monoxide that I have saved myself from.










Ok, strictly speaking, she doesn't weigh in at 62 Grams, but I would never have been able to catch her before without running out of breath!!

8 comments:

  1. Hey, congratulations! Giving up smoking is one of the hardest things there is to do, and 6 months is a huge milestone! Fantastically well done!

    I can say all that because I gave up over 20 years ago after smoking 20 a day for 17 years and it was bloody difficult. As you say, you have to want to, and even then it's tough.

    And good luck to your mum, too. She'll need all the support you can give her. Well, you know that, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it you're measuring the tar in metric units because of EEC rules.

    For the benefit of our American friends 61.44 grams is equal to 2.17 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes but upon catching the naked wench what would your next move be? - "Oh, you remind me of someone I used to know!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I'm so proud of your mum! And you... bike riding has got to be much more enjoyable now.

    As for pizza rolls, they are only the best invention EVER. My preferred brand is: http://www.pillsbury.com/view/pizza/pizzarolls.aspx

    I don't get them often because I am pretty sure they cause cancer (LOL) but they are a taste sensation.

    I love the idea of the bike with the child trailer. I'm going to show it to Shawn when he gets home tonight. It will only work for Mondays and Tuesdays, (I've got other errands to take care of on Wednesday and Thursday that are too far for a bike) but even two days are better than none. I am going to drive the route this weekend and check for sidewalks. Thank you very much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done. smoking must affect your cardio-vascular when you are cycling or walking up big hills, so consider it a bonus. i was astounded to see some on the mountain hikes light up whenever we had a break ... god knows how they managed to keep on performing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have had you down as being a Frank Zappa fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done!

    As I look South on The Horizon from Hebden Bridge ..the clouds above Huddersfield seem diminished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's terrific and quadruple hooray's for your mother.
    ----and-----
    and i just have to say you'll have a similar epiphany about computers if u switch to a Mac.

    ReplyDelete