Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis has left the building.

Thirty years ago to this very day, the obese one clutched his deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwich in one hand, and his exploding heart in the other. I bring to you, the finest web cam of all time.... Elvis-death-anniversary-vigil-cam. Who gives you more?

Well, there isn't much that can possibly top a great web page like that one.....

Or is there?

Some bloody big brained boffins have managed to do some monkeying around with a few numbers and reached the conclusion that, no matter what state it is in, it should take no more than twenty six moves to solve a Rubik's cube.

Lightheartedly, I make fun of this work, but the calculations and computing power required to achieve this goal are so large that I can't even fit them on this page. Ok, I will try to summarise......

The Rubik's cube was invented in the 1970s.

I used to be able to complete the "cube" with the aid of some self style shorthand written notes that I made from a book.

The boffins used seven terabytes of disk space as a memory extension to run the necessary calculations.

The Rubik's cube has forty three quintillion possibilities.

And there you have it....... They did receive a two hundred thousand dollar grant for disk space though!!

I am DEFINITELY in the wrong job.

1 comment:

  1. Quote: " I am definitely in the wrong job"

    You have a job? What is it? Pro Guitar Hero?!

    ReplyDelete