Monday, July 16, 2007

Stair rods.

Yesterday was a farewell party for my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews, who later this week set sail for a life down under.

I was drunk (of course).

It was raining (of course).

It was cold (of course).

It is July after all.... what else would you expect?

And so, this morning, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, it's bright and warm.

I spend the day reassembling the debris that I used to call my house. This exercise culminates in the clearing out of my wardrobe.... a great deal of "trying on" of clothes..... bagging up my scrap.... letting go all those "sentimental", scruffy, misshapen, discoloured rags. Really, I just say yes or no, as Dawn does all the hard work.

Tidied and wardrobed, we both collapse onto the bed for half an hour... A well earned rest, in a warm, sunny bedroom.

Out at the back there's a funeral wake at the bowling club.... some poor beggar's bowled his last jack.

A friend calls me to go for a bike ride. I agree to go. I hang up the phone, and of course it starts to rain. He comes round, and we set off for the ride, wrapped in waterproofs. A couple of miles up the road, and I am sweating under a bright blue sky. The waterproofs come off. A mix of road, and moorland, and maybe twelve miles later..... I'm happy and coated in mud and sand.

Half an hour later, I've been in the shower, I've a cup of coffee in front of me, and the rain is coming down with vengeance. Lightning isn't far behind. I thank my lucky stars for the hour and a half of perfect weather, where the salt stung my forehead, and sweat dripped off my nose.

Let the detox commence!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have gotten away from feeling boxed in!
    Thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing like a bit of cabin fever to push you out into this schizophrenic summer weather. sounded like a good day, actually. better to be out in it and tasting a sliver of life, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...collapse onto the bed for half an hour" Mmmm! Reading between the lines is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve some kinda medal for erecting that gazebo in record timing in adverse weather conditions.... if that was a sport you would be representing Great Britain and certainly on course for a Gold!

    ReplyDelete