Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ginger.

I am in the bedroom. I am sitting at my desk. I am in the bedroom, sitting at my desk, sifting through emails and generally catching up with whatever the world has in store for me today.

I am eating a ginger preserve sandwich. Lovely brown bread, and lovely spiced ginger preserve.

Some of you may remember my previous encounter with a jar of ginger preserve. Should you wish to recall this story, you can find it here:

Toast.

Well, it's safe to say that my current jar is still in one piece, and it's bloody delicious.

Now, the fact that I am enjoying my preserve is not really a blog worthy topic in itself. I am sure you will agree to that much. As I take the last mouthful of my sticky unctuous snack, I am reminded of something my friend's mum said to me about the original "toast" tale.

I was explaining to Dan's mum about blogging, and about the things I write about. I was trying to convey the fact that blogs are not just diaries, and they aren't just written like:

8:00am got out of bed
9:00am went to work
5:00pm came home

blah blah blah.

Mine would never look like this because of course I don't have a job, but you get the idea.

The concept of online journalling is quite alien to some people. They are entitled to remain in the dark about blogs, but for the most part I think they should dip their toes in the water and experience some of it at least.

I would rather someone read some blogs and then said they were all self gratifying bollocks, than just assuming that we are all self gratifying bollocks writers because some self gratifying bollocks writer had written said comment in a newspaper.

I often forget that some people actually produce good blogs, about real things. There are people living in situations that make for fascinating front line reading. I have to concede that mine is just self gratifying bollocks. They are not all like that/this though.

Anyhoo......

As an example of the things I write about, I quoted the toast example.

Dan's mum looked at me in horror as I explained that I had the brief moment where I wanted to salvage the jar.

She would have salvaged it and couldn't believe I didn't. She went to some lengths to explain how to sift the jam for shards of glass, even suggesting that it might have been an idea to just eat it carefully, checking it as you go along.

It made me laugh as I chomped my sandwich with reckless abandon.

6 comments:

  1. hello ginger on toast i blackberry jams nicer jep

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd enjoy Tiptree's Rhubarb and Ginger Jam..... or why not venture to Blyton in Lincolnshire where hand-made mango and ginger icecream is strong enough to make your eyes stream and your tongue smart! Do you remember Auntie Janet's ginger biscuits? I prefer them to her infamous corned beef flan.... anyday of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urrgh! I can't think of anything more unappealing than ginger preserve! Actually shards of glass could make the stuff more bearable as your gob filled up with hot salty gobbets of blood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I laugh at your ginger spread.

    Marmite. Now, that's a man's breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't even tell you where you could buy a jar of that stuff where I live... I've never even heard of it before!

    If we are talking toast spreads, nothing beats good old fashioned peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't think I would of tried to salvage the jam myself. Just think if you swallowed some glass and it started cutting up your intestines. Dangerouse practice eating carefully of preserves and glass.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete