Sunday, April 29, 2007

It's a rap trap.....

Well, I realise that opinion on rats is very divided. I like him though. I still can't imagine a method of catching or trapping the little fella, that will not endanger any of the feathered chums that visit my locale.

Perhaps it's time for a little rodentary research?

Sunday evening eh? Where'd the weekend go?

Well, if you're sitting comfortably, and enjoying the "Goldie Lookin' Chain" that should be caressing your earlobes by now (if you have the relevant plugins and sound enabled, and choose to listen to it of course - that's a lot of variables, and I imagine most choose not!!), then I'll begin....

It was a dark and stormy night.... Well, OK, it was a warm sunny Saturday afternoon, probably about nineteen degrees centigrade, but that makes for a crappy beginning....

It was a warm, spring, Saturday afternoon, and the lambs were gambling in the fields.... most of them were hooked up to some online poker tournament, but the rest were just playing "stone paper scissors" for cash, which is hard if you only have hooves for hands!!

Me and Dawn/Dawn and I/myself and Dawn/Dawn and myself - all the bases covered - jumped in the car and began heading north....

I lie..... We actually began heading west, along the infamous M62.... M60.... M61 and then north..... This is actually turning into a pretty crappy story already....

OK, I will cut out the flowery prose of the middle man, and render this seemingly long story short, for your benefit you understand!!

We went to visit my Auntie and Uncle in Dumfriesshire.... the rolling lowlands of Scotland. It only takes two and a half to three hours to get there, and it's a great place to be, and my lovely relatives are always most welcoming.

Exactly one year ago to the day since we last visited the same area on our first "away" trip together.

The weather was grand, the scenery breathtaking, and the wildlife out there, if you take time to suck it all in is majestic.

Amongst the creatures on display - A pheasant strutting around the garden lawn. Red kites hunting the thermals, and soaring circularly skyward, out of sight. Wild partridge running along the roadside, dicing with death.

We just stayed for a day really.... not really long enough to appreciate the excellent company of my relatives, or to explore the sights and sounds, and spring bursting across the land.

What it HAS been though, is a most welcomed sojourn in Scotland. I love spending time with my folks, and I love spending time with Dawn. Quality time - that's what they call it!!

Back down to earth.....

Now, about that rat..... The fox wanders off in search of humane solutions.....

2 comments:

  1. Roland Rat Superstar! YeeeahSunday, 29 April, 2007

    Err, Wevs. You know rats like to attack and kill birds. And that if they find a ready source of food they tend to erm, congregate and breed.

    I'm glad you like them. You may find that you soon have a colony.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, Foxy! You're just an old romantic underneath it all. I always knew you had a heart lurking beneath all that cynical armour.

    As for the rodent. Rats breed all year round, have a gestation period of around six weeks, can breed 5 times in a year, have litters of up to 14 and can breed from the age of 5 weeks old. Even at a conservative level, you could be the proud owner of over 1200 rats by the end of the year.

    They also live in hierarchical groups so it's unlikely that you only have the one living in your garden.

    http://www.hunterpole.co.uk/HunterPoleSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=HP146&ctgry=Pest%20Busters_Humane%20Traps&cookie%5Ftest=1

    ReplyDelete