Sunday, April 22, 2007

Back in the swing.

I was going to write something about my rehabilitation. My return to my own dwelling, after a week of house-sitting. Something about being "back in the swing" of it. Alas, I don't ever think I have been in the swing of anything, and as such, it would be foolish of me to think otherwise.

I have missed certain elements of being at home this last week though.

I am amazed at how much the garden has come along.

The previously stumpy, brown, decayed stands of fern, that will eventually transform my woodland glade into a jurassic park, have begun to shoot and the fronds are unclicking themselves.

The daffodils, some that came early have now finished, but the later ones are in full bloom. I have some gorgeous double daffs, and they're oh so pretty.

Harebells and bluebells are budding and bursting out.

A handful of tulips (all red unfortunately) are unfurling their scarlet petals, to reveal the alien interiors, in a brazen display of floral flashing.

The cherry tree has finally begun to come into leaf, and there are a few unopened blossoms, where it will no doubt fruit, and be ravaged by the birds.

The monumental, frankly oversized ash tree, which is always the last to get its leaves, and the first to lose them, is budding too.

There's a haze about the place, a fuzzy green haze at the peripheral edge of the garden, that hasn't been there until now. Rebirth, regrowth, resplendent. It's the heartening cycle of life that, irrespective of our short encounter with it, will rumble on regardless.

I frikking hate photos of flowers and plants and such, so here are some!!











6 comments:

  1. Aw shucks! You're as bad as me expostulating about the joys of springtime - growth, flowers, buds and blossom. Recently I have heard two people tell me they hate England. Why? When it is so beautiful and rich in history and human inventiveness. This is a great country. You can keep your apartments in Spain and your gites in France when we can instead frolic through an English garden in the springtime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pics, Fox fella. I especially like the daffy against the blue background - nice bokeh, too. Could have done without the second flower head, though - kind of pulls the eye away from the main subject.

    Unusually, with the late departure of winter we're only just beginning to see the signs of spring - we have buds but no flowers yet. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All manifestations http://www.blogger.com disappeared as a result of a lengthy sojourn in the country, bodily exercise, and the return of physical strength after the termination of the period of puberty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love daffodils! Once I see them I know spring is finally here. Great pics of the flowers.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pics *and* a bizarre comment (spam?).

    Howzat pome go agin?...

    OH, to be in England now that April ’s there
    And whoever wakes in England sees, some morning, unaware,
    That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
    Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
    While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
    In England—now!

    le sigh.
    Home Thoughts From Abroad, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when the trees are in blossom... yet it seems to hardly last a second - they're already falling. Sigh. Time in fast forward. Enjoy it while we can.

    ReplyDelete