Friday, March 23, 2007

Depressing reading.....

I have, for a while now, been trying to expand my blogging horizons.

I have, for a while now, been trying to find a way to start a board game club in Huddersfield.

Sadly, on both counts, I have drawn a big, fat blank.

British blogging is something that I particularly wanted to find out more about. Seems the average British blog is one that hasn't been updated for three years, or indeed it's updated daily, but with mindless regurgitation of news items and political analysis. If I want to read news, then I will go to reuters or Aunty Beeb's websites, and if I am really desperate, I might give the Examiner the once over.

Seems that British people with a spark of creativity, are doing other things than blogging.

I am sick of reading about what's bad in life. I am sick of writing about what's bad in life. I don't need an news index, because the stories I might be interested in are usually indexed on their respective sites already.

Where are all the good things?

How many people can honestly, hand on heart, hold their heads up high, and say that they have written a glowing report about somebody or something recently?

Have you been to a good restaurant? Have you had exceptionally good customer service experiences? Read a good book? Watched a good film? Have you even enjoyed a new bubble bath or toothpaste?

It's something I am constantly berating my folks for. I stand there, and manage to stomach about ten minutes of regurgitated Daily Mailesque articles, before I have to ask: "Is there anything you are happy about?".

It would appear that we only ever tell each other about things that piss us off.

Now, me, I like feeding the birds, I like walking in the countryside. The enjoyment of having taken a reasonable photograph is enough to sustain me for some time. I like writing, even reading. I am constantly wondering whether I could be fitting in an episode of "Black Books", or whether there is still a DVD in my collection that has been bought, but remains unviewed and unloved.

Temujin (the mongolian barbeque) in Milnsbridge, was a reasonable dining experience, and I enjoyed introducing Dawn to this type of cuisine. Laughing Gravy in Hebden Bridge, was one of the most unexpected and splendid meals I have eaten in the past year.

Seeing Tom being excited about getting back his maths test results (which he won't get back until next week because the teacher had some homework to mark......!?) has been rather enjoyable. I think both Tom and I have been amused by the difference in his attitude to actually wanting test results back.

Lapwings circling over my head. Their erratic flight paths. Hares springing up and running ahead of me. Squirrels rattling the branches. Isolated snow pockets, that run through depressions and ditches in the fields. Sunshine, spring.

Bill Bailey, George Formby, recording Skins for Kirsty. Trumpton, Camberwick Green, and recording them for Freddie. Pogo, Sniper Elite, Age of Empires. Magazines, books, comics. Moss, lichen, millstone grit, and heather. Stiles, footpaths, drystone walling, and bridleways. Sun, snow, wind and rain. Eyes, ears, nose and mouth.

We've got so bloody much going for us.

This is my blog. There are many like it but this one is mine. My blog is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my blog is useless. Without my blog I am useless. I must write my blog true. I must write straighter than my enemy, who is trying to permalink me. I must thrill him before he thrills me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my blog and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Cheer up!!



Post update update: 3 days have now elapsed since I quit smoking. That amounts to 120 cigs that I haven't smoked, and approximately thirty two quid I haven't spent!! Woohoo!!

6 comments:

  1. I told you that wearing thongs would lead to even more extremes of behaviour, but you wouldn't listen. Now look at you - a tattoo? What would your mother say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reasons to be cheerful - part 2

    I've lived to 56 ( nearly)
    My children have never hurt anyone
    I have people who love me
    I have a sense of humour
    I can laugh at myself
    I have found a way to be me
    I can hear, I can see I can touch I can taste I can feel
    SO much to be happy about

    Good on you for pointing it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your doing brilliant.
    love you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. See that comment above me there? -- *That's* definitely a happy thing. :)

    So the tattoo...is that how you'll be spending the $ you saved? Or is it your loose (no pun intended), artistic interpretation of one of our sentences involving tighty whities?

    It's sunny! I saw a cardinal! I found Andy Goldsworthy's Arch for 89 cents! I did the dishes! The moon's been beautiful! Jo's going to phone at some point! Ain't life grand?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peewits, not lapwings. Keep up with the local vernacular, mate!

    I like 'peewit'... it's onomatopoeic. (My spelling is good, but I had to check that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Look at that fox fan!
    hee hee..
    I could go on and on about dines we enjoy, but you wouldn't be able to eat at them :O(
    Currently I am reading Tom Robbins Skinny legs and all and am enjoying LOL I'm such a kid! From my era, Shelly Duvals Faerie Tale theatre, It's ok if you don't remember it, no one does!It was a show done in the 80's and has a lot of talent in it including Mick Jagger!

    Katt

    ReplyDelete