Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday musings.

It's Sunday the 4th February. It must be like 14 degrees or higher in the garden. The sun is shining, and the sky is a watery wintery blue, with white winter sun.

The trees and bulbs are all sprouting their new shoots, and it's a confusing scene. This is February, and it feels like summer. The birds are already pairing up and nesting, and there are insects flying about outside. This is all about one or two months premature, but you will not hear me complain.

I don't need to hark on about holes in the ozone layer, or melting ice caps, or global warming. The evidence for all these things is as plain as the nose on my face. The intersting aspect of this, is merely that, this week, it is finally official - Humans are to blame!!

Well, stone the crows, I could have told you that for a lot less than the IPCC charged to write their document. Personally I am chagrined with the whole debate, and the issue of whether it is a scientific problem or a political one.

Perhaps we should just accept it, drive hungrier cars, and just wear less clothing? Maybe the "oil" nations of the future will be the ones who can manufacture the highest sun protection factor oils? Maybe somewhere under the oceans there are vast quantities of factor eighty "Piz Buin" just waiting to be tapped?

All that being said, I must admit to having bought strawberries, yesterday, whose country of origin was Morocco. Think about it!!

It's a quiet day today. Dawn's gone off to the NEC in Birmingham for some sort of "buying" trip with her work. My mum wanted to go to a garden centre, but decided not to. I am enjoying the peace and quiet, but missing being with Dawn.

For some strange reason today, I have Newfoundland on my mind. I've been told it's a good place, and one that warrants further investigation. Perhaps I will look some stuff up when I have finished this blog? More likely I will go and play Age of Empires. I bet you didn't see that one coming?

I've been cooking up a storm lately. Last night I made: Spinach, rocket, and watercress soup.... Low fat fish and chips, and a kiwi fruit granita for desert.... very nice.

I think this week, I might start to be more productive around the house and try to tidy up the junk piles. Let's call it a premature spring clean!!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your weather, mate. The frozen wasteland is currently at -16 with a windchill factor that's makes it have the effect of -27. This is the coldest it's been since I arrived here and after a few weeks of this you start to understand why people will have faith in a groundhog's prediction for the start of spring.

    And what's with Newfoundland? Fancy starting a new life as a Newfie? Just remember that Canadians tell Newfie jokes in the same way the English tell Irish jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great reading blog.
    By the way, what is the correct pronounciation of "Newfoundland"?

    Is it
    "New-Fun-Lin"
    or
    "Newf-And-Land"?

    Any Newfie is reading this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Di i detect your procrastination wearing off a little bit???
    Hi to Dawn xxx

    ReplyDelete