Monday, December 18, 2006

Chapter and verse....

I have been trying for the last eighteen months to finish, restart, and finish again, a Harry Potter book. I was excited when it came out, all that time ago. Tonight I finally finished it, and in doing so, I've probably learned a little more about myself.

I always feel that reading is a solitary occupation. I am not one that finds it easy to flip briskly through a book, when surrounded by distraction. I hate reading a few pages, only to find that my mind's been elsewhere, and that I haven't actually registered the printed words that literally went in one eye and out the other.

So, I've finished the book. It's late. A little too late for normal people. A sense of loss, emptiness, and loneliness has encompassed me. I usually feel like this at the end of a book, and realise that this is why I so often leave the final few chapters of books unread for prolonged periods of time.

I should be in bed. My mind is elsewhere. This is one night where I should not be alone, but then how would I have finished the book?

3 comments:

  1. Which Potter was it? Ive read them all cept the last one.
    katt

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Fox, just as sometimes happens in literature, there is a lot more being said than the words on the page would indicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great blogging from Fox...after looong time.

    "To acquire the habit of reading
    is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all of the miseries of life."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

    ReplyDelete